Friday, February 24, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Moment of Fate by Karen Stivali



Title: Moment of Fate
Series: Moments In Time: Book Five
Author: Karen Stivali
Release Date: February 24, 2017
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 244
Bryan Dane’s been living the dream—photography student by day, up-and-coming rocker by night. His summer goals are to earn his last few credits, graduate from NYU, spend as much time in the recording studio as possible, and survive the next few months without sex so he can complete his yearlong goal of self-imposed celibacy. Everything is on track until he meets Oliver Newcastle.
For years Oliver planned a marriage of convenience with his high school BFF, but now that she’s fallen in love for real with someone else, it’s no longer convenient. So Oliver came out to his family, quit his job, and left small-town New England for NYC, an intensive summer study program, and a chance to find his own happiness.
From the moment they meet, the sexual tension between Bryan and Oliver sizzles. But Bryan wants no part of a relationship, and Oliver wants to sow his wild oats—he just isn’t sure how. Oliver seeks Bryan’s help navigating the NYC gay scene, which throws them together in increasingly more sexual situations until they can no longer deny they’re hot for each other. Bryan is desperate to keep things simple, but fate may have other plans.





5 Sizzling Hot Stars!!

This was another great addition to the Moments in Time series. I liked Bryan, but he frustrated me so much. I've loved the glimpses we've gotten of him in the previous books, and have been looking forward to his story, but if I'm being honest, I spent a majority of this story wanting to scream at him and smack him upside the head! He was so bullheaded, seeing so clearly what was right in front of him. Admitting those feelings to himself, yet continually pushing Oliver away. I understand his reasons and why he was scared, but that didn't make the situation any less difficult to watch. I absolutely loved Oliver. He was an amazingly sweet, loving and innocent character. Even though the book is told solely from Bryan's POV, I loved getting to know Oliver through his blog posts. It was an intriguing way to have his voice heard without him having his own POV.


The chemistry between Bryan and Oliver was undeniable. I thought I was going to combust from sexual frustration, waiting for them to finally kiss, but O.M.G, once they do kiss: Electrical!! These two were off the charts hot. The sex was passionate and oh so hot. Karen's writing, as always is superb. She knows just how to draw you in and keep you turning the pages. I really loved Bryan's sister and niece. They added so much depth to the story and I loved the interactions between the four of them.

I loved this book. It's well-written and paced nicely. It's filled with so much heartache, sadness, friendship, sexiness and love. I can't wait for Erik's story, which I hope won't be the last book we'll see in this series. If you haven't read any of the books in this series, I urge you to start one-clicking! Highly recommended!!

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn’t a requirement.*





5 Stars! 

A stunning tale, that's simple, well-told, contemp and utterly believable. I want more! How about it, Ms Stivali? Please?

I've not read everything this author has written - yet - but with this novel, that's absolutely about to change. I loved it. Every bit of it. I didn't want it to end, and now that it has, I can only hope that the author gives these guys a short tale a few years down the line in their HEA, as I want, need to know that they're working out and how their lives have changed for the better.

It's a tale of two very opposite guys, as the blurb tells you. Refreshingly, KS hasn't fallen into the trope of closed-off guys/damaged guys, but gives us a really fresh and totally believable tale.

Bryan is a decent guy, helping his sister with her little girl, being part of a band, working part-time as a photographer and also trying to finish off his degree. After a split, he decided to get his life back on track and be celibate for a year, and so far, it's been going good...until he sees the stunning beautiful Oliver, a guy who's only now just allowed himself to be out, and who's arrived in the big city both to study and explore his newly found gay man.

They meet by fluke and slowly become friends, before they become lovers and then something happens that splits them up. I can't tell you more about this or why it happens, but it was realistic and I could see why it happened, and at the same time, I could see how utterly devastated and conflicted the originator of the break-up was, and how much he came to realise what he'd lost. Yes, I'm deliberately not using names so as not to spoil the tale for you.

As with all romance novels, the guys get back together, but I loved how they got there, how the realisations came out, how stuff was dealt with, talked out, how both were prepared to bare all and give their all to their relationship, and how they were open and honest, the time for secrets having passed.

I loved KS's utterly on-point, contemp writing, full of LOLs, not-un-nice snark and witticisms. I loved some of the expressions she owned in this and wondered why I haven't read every single thing she's written.

I believed in these guys' and their journey into the rest of their lives, despite their relatively young ages and them being, as the tale ends, still in different apartments. There was no doubt in my mind that they were a forever-HEA couple, but I'm greedy enough to want to read more of them, see them living that HEA, complete with changes in their lives and circumstances. Please, Ms Stivali, could there be more?

ARC courtesy of Bayou Book Junkie and Dreamspinner Press, for my reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment