Friday, December 15, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Kairos by Mary Calmes

Release Day Review ~ Kairos by Mary Calmes

Title: Kairos

Author: Mary Calmes

Release Date: December 15, 2017
Category: Contemporary
Pages: TBD (Novella)

Sometimes the best day of your life is the one you never saw coming.
Joe Cohen has devoted the past two years of his life to one thing: the care and feeding of Kade Bosa. His partner in their PI business, roommate, and best friend, Kade is everything to Joe, even if their relationship falls short of what Joe desires most. But he won’t push. Kade has suffered a rough road, and Joe’s pretty sure he’s the only thing holding Kade together.
Estranged from his own family, Joe knows the value of desperately holding on to someone dear, but he never expected his present and past to collide just as Kade’s is doing the same. Now they’ve stumbled across evidence that could change their lives: the impact of Kade’s tragic past, their job partnership, and any future Joe might allow himself to wish for…




5 Stars!!!

The first thing I noticed when I asked for this book? The scrumptious cover! It's simply beautiful. The second, the blurb, which just made me finally decide to read a Mary Calmes book. It's not that I hadn't wanted to do so before, I read Control by Cardeno C. and Mary Calmes and I loved it, but whenever there is a Mary Calmes book to review, someone else pounces on it before I do. Not this time, and after how much I loved Kairos, I'll just have to check out her backlist. My co-blogger Jaymie and I have a buddy-read to schedule in January for her Matter of Time series to start us off. 

Kade and Joe are best friends, roommates and partners in a PI business in Chicago, Kade was a policeman who got addicted to heroin while working undercover and Joe's friendship is pretty much what's holding him together after losing both his job and his family. Joe wouldn't mind being more to Kade than just his best friend, but he doesn't think Kade wants him that way or does he?

Kairos is told from Joe's POV and I loved getting inside his head! He's such a fun, self-deprecating guy. And really, it's incredible just how much of Kade I got to know without really reading what he was going through. While this is pretty much a slow-burn—seriously, they don't kiss until the 65% mark—the UST and the connection between Kade and Joe were out of this world. I adored their banter and the way they fit together so perfectly, be it as partners, friends or lovers. 

It was awesome to see them in action, too, and I loved that they found Declan and took him with them. He was a nice addition to their dynamic. I adored Joe's mom, too, and his family in general later on. I even liked Evan, mostly because he was the catalyst for Kade to finally snap and claim Joe for himself! I loved jealous Kade! The only thing I would've liked would have been a Vaugh/Joe & Kade confrontation. Yes, he got what he deserved, but I wanted a little bit more. 

Overall, I can't recommend this book enough. It was fun, sweet, hot, fast-paced, with some action and great characters I was fully invested in. You really can't go wrong with this book! 

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press, a review wasn't a requirement. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment