Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Release Day Review: Camp H.O.W.L. by Bru Baker


Title: Camp H.O.W.L.
Author: Bru Baker
Release Date: November 1, 2017
Category: Paranormal: Werewolves, Dreamspun Beyond
Pages: 238

Moonmates exist, but getting together is going to be a beast….
When Adrian Rothschild skipped his “werewolf puberty,” he assumed he was, somehow, human. But he was wrong, and he’s about to go through his Turn with a country between him and his Pack—scared, alone, and eight years late.
Dr. Tate Lewis’s werewolf supremacist father made his Turn miserable, and now Tate works for Camp H.O.W.L. to ease the transition for young werewolves. He isn’t expecting to offer guidance to a grown man—or find his moonmate in Adrian. Tate doesn’t even believe in the legendary bond; after all, his polygamist father claimed five. But it’s clear Adrian needs him, and if Tate can let his guard down, he might discover he needs Adrian too.
A moonmate is a wolf’s missing piece, and Tate is missing a lot of pieces. But is Adrian up to the challenge?





3 Stars!

While this was a refreshingly unique take on Shifters and mates, there was quite a bit of untapped potential. The story started out interesting enough but as it went along it felt a bit slow and soon just became redundant and boring. Honestly, there is only so much brooding and reluctance to mate that I can take in a story of True Mates or in this case Moon-mates.

The majority of the story focuses on Tate’s aversion to his potential mating with Adrian. While in the beginning it’s understandable that he would feel apprehensive and would fight the connection, after a while, it just became frustrating and monotonous. This wasn’t the type of angst that had my stomach in knots as I anxiously awaited the two men to discover they could no longer stay apart. No, this was the type of frustration that had me considering whether or not I should just skip to the end.

Adrian was a likable character and had this story been more romantic, sexier and more action packed, I’m pretty sure I’d have loved him. Instead, I truly felt sorry for his character because he’s kind of stuck with a dud as a mate. I’m not even sure their mating is truly a mating, to be honest.

Tate, I couldn’t stand him. He went from blah to irritating to blah once again. His character could’ve used a lot more fleshing out if I were to ever to truly feel as if I understood him completely.

The romance was practically nonexistent even though there was quite a bit of sexual tension and developing feelings. There was a great building of friendship between Adrian and Tate as well as the friendship between the other Counselors at the Camp. Maybe with more time, it could’ve been more of what I was hoping for.

What I liked about this story though was the camp. Camp H.O.W.L was a fun idea and the potential for a lot more stories lies within that part of the book. I enjoyed the brief glimpses of classes that were held and the hierarchy and dynamics of the wolves staying there. I definitely want more of that.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***




No comments:

Post a Comment