Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Release Day Reviews ~ Rescue Me by K.M. Neuhold


Blurb:

“Your life can change in an instant”~ Madden
I never thought a night out could change everything. All I wanted was to dance, drink, maybe take a cute guy home for a night of fun. I met the guy, but the night ended as a nightmare. Screams, and blood, and tragedy haunt my dreams. I'm alive and I owe it all to the gorgeous marine who refused to leave me for dead. But how can I start a new relationship when I'm not even sure who I am anymore?
“I'll always save you” ~Thane
After a long work week all I wanted was to let my hair down and to meet a nice guy. When I laid eyes on the gorgeous, tattooed man at the bar, I had to have him. I never would have thought the night could end in such horror. I saved his life, and I swear I'll save him as many times as I have to. Even if it means saving him from himself.

**This is the first book in the Heathens Ink series in which every book can be read as a stand-alone.
CAUTION: this book is recommended for readers 18+ and does contain one scene of graphic violence that may disturb some readers. And, in case it wasn't clear from the description, this is an M/M romance, man parts will be touching.



$2.99 or FREE WITH KINDLE UNLIMITED

Amazon U.S: https://goo.gl/PfIV3k

Amazon U.K: https://goo.gl/LihG4z


I also have a preview of the first chapter for you free on Instafreebie, 
as well as a free short prequel where you can meet the men of Heathens Ink:






4 Stars!!!

This is book 1 in the Heathens Ink series, although there's a prequel that K.M. Neuhold is offering for free here

Tattoo artist Madden and firefighter Thane meet at a gay club and are immediately drawn to each other, but before they can do anything about it, there's a shooting inside the club and Madden is one of the victims. Thane is there for Madden throughout his recovery, to the point that he offers Madden his house when he's released from the hospital. Madden accepts Thane's help and they grow closer as they get to know each other better. Madden is battling a lot of demons, and Thane might not be able to rescue Madden from them if Madden doesn't want to be rescued.

I loved Thane. He was such a sweet, reliable man. Yes, he had a bit of a hero complex, but he only wanted to help Madden and he was very naïve in a sense, more than I would've imagined for a 30-year-old sometimes. I would've liked to see more of him working at the fire station and perhaps, have the part of the impact of him coming out to his coworkers expanded a bit. I liked Madden, he had gone through a lot of bad things in his life and came back from them. He was resilient and had great strength of character, for the most part, but there were a couple of instances in which I wanted to slap some sense into him when he behaved so immaturely. He could also be quite devious, though, I think one of my favorite parts was when he introduced Thane's friend Zade to his friend Royal. 

While I enjoyed K.M. Neuhold's writing style, there was one part in the book especially with which I wasn't all that happy, seeing as the character I think needed to make the grand gesture didn't and what led the characters to that got brushed off too easily for my taste. Still, I think Madden and Thane had great chemistry and their scenes together were really hot. Plus Madden's friends, the rest of the Heathens Ink members, were really intriguing and I can't wait to read more of their stories. 

Recommendable! 

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***





3.5 Stars 


Sometimes it is hard for me to truly connect with a book and its characters when the story is written in present tense. Because of this, I had difficulty where others may not when I tried to get sucked into the story. I loved the blurb and as I read further into the story, I really liked where things were going. I can't help but feel as if, had the story been written in past tense, I would have loved it.

Thane and Madden meet on a night out at a local gay club. After hitting it off and deciding to leave the club, things erupt into chaos. A man opens fire on the club and its patrons killing many and injuring even more. A former marine and currently working as a firefighter, Thane manages to safely get out of the club after rescuing Madden who is shot three times. From that moment on Thane realizes he wants nothing more than to help and protect Madden.

I liked Thane a lot and I felt his character was very likable and well-rounded, although in some ways a bit naive. He is very sweet to Madden and immediately steps into the role of friend, caretaker and eventually boyfriend. However, with his background in the military and working in such a high-risk career as a firefighter, I felt as if his naïveté at Madden's symptoms after the shooting was possibly a bit unrealistic. I also felt that while he was more stable in his life than Madden was that he should have really looked at the relationship and determined if they were ready for it.

Finding love after such a traumatic and intense situation is a very tricky thing. Emotions are heightened and people may start to depend on each other whether it's in a healthy way or not. It's easy for some to become dependent on the security they feel from a person they see as a protector or guardian, the person that saved their life. Can they then have a healthy and strong relationship or will they eventually begin to question the strength of their connection?

Madden was a harder character for me to like. I didn't think he was in a good enough place in his life to jump completely into a relationship with Thane. It was obvious that the situation was not an ideal way to start off but you could see how it all played out the way it did.

Thane and Madden had great chemistry and in normal circumstances, I wouldn't have questioned their relationship. I think in time they'd be perfect together. I'd just like for Madden to mature a little more and gain confidence in himself. He definitely has a great support system in his friends and Thane.

One thing I will say about this story is that the author did a wonderful job giving us just enough of the other characters to need and want more. I'm excited to see Royal's story and, honestly, I'm desperate to find out more about Adam when it comes time for his story as well.

I think this was a good start to a new series and while I didn't love the book, I think that was more me and my own personal issues with it than with the quality of the the story itself. I will definitely be giving this author another try and will be continuing to read the Heathens Ink series.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement
.***

No comments:

Post a Comment