Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Release Day Review ~ A Careful Heart by Ralph Josiah Bardsley

Blurb:

Travis Gaines and Stephen Davis are as close as two best friends can be. Born less than a month apart, they grew up as neighbors in a small northern New Hampshire town. After college, they make their way together to Boston, craving the excitement and fast pace of New England’s biggest city. 


As they get their bearings in Boston, Travis falls hard for Benson, a senior executive at the financial services firm where he works. Benson is wealthy, handsome, and well connected among Boston’s well heeled. At first it seems like Benson is everything a guy could ever want, but behind that glossy veneer is a dark side that threatens to tear Travis and Stephen’s friendship apart and change their lives for ever.




3 Stars

I've loved the other books I've read from Ralph Josiah Bardsley, so I was excited to get my hands on this book. But, for me, it didn't live up to the other two previous books by the author. Where the other books were interesting and held me captive from the moment I picked them up, I struggled to get through this book. I found it was slow and the writing was choppy. Some scenes felt unfinished. Something major would take place in the story and suddenly it was a year or two into the future with no closure to what had previously happened.


I do applaud the author for tackling the sensitive subject of domestic abuse, especially domestic abuse in same-sex couples. This portion of the story was well-written, but not overly graphic. Although, if this is a trigger for you, you may want to skip this story.

I'll be perfectly honest and say, I think the wrong characters ended up together. It's not how I wanted it. I kept waiting for the characters I wanted together to realize they were perfect for each other and I was sad to never see it come to fruition. I walked away unsatisfied, frustrated and a bit heartbroken. I'm sorry to say it wasn't an enjoyable read. Still, I look forward to seeing what the author has in store for us in the future.

*Copy provided to me via NetGalley for my reading pleasure, a review wasn’t a requirement.*




No comments:

Post a Comment