Monday, March 27, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Down in the Dirt by Tory Temple

Release Day Review ~ Down in the Dirt by Tory Temple

Title: Down in the Dirt
Author: Tory Temple
Release Date: March 27, 2017
Category: Contemporary, M/M/M or More
Pages: 200


Rodeo cowboy Teagan has inherited his father’s ranch, and it’s in a bad way. To pay his bills, he’ll have to work the rodeo circuit hard, and for that he needs a partner. Team roper Cash is just the ticket. He’s not the friendliest sort, but he has a good seat and a better roping arm, so Teagan takes Cash on and things heat up fast. Maybe too fast.
When Teagan finds out he’s not the only one Cash has in the saddle, he thinks they’re over for good. But then Cash has an accident, and Teagan cares too much about Cash to abandon him. How will he deal with a new Cash, one with no memory of being a bit of an asshole—or of a relationship with Teagan? And how will Cash react when he realizes Teagan has been less than forthcoming about their past?
Like any good rodeo ride, Teagan and Cash have ups and downs, crashing and burning as often as they blaze bright. But to make their love work as smoothly as their roping, they’ll have to push past deception and stubborn pride.
First Edition published as Tabula Rasa by Torquere Press, 2007.



3 Stars (On writing alone)

I'm going to be frank here and just say that I did not enjoy this one. The writing was good and I think the author is great so I am giving 3 stars based on that. However, as far as the story and the characters go, I'm sorry but no.

It's impossible to put into words how much I hated Cash. He's a class A jerk and in my opinion, I would have walked away from him 5 minutes after meeting him and been done with the whole thing. I'm not into letting someone basically treat me like dirt and then wanting to be in bed with them constantly. No amount of hot sex or a great body is worth that to me.

As for Teagan, I felt like one minute he's a jerk, the next I'm meant to feel bad for him and back and forth. I disliked him less than I did Cash but still couldn't bring myself to care whether he got his HEA or not. Not to mention his constant thinking about, talking about or having sex got on my nerves. I'm not sure he did much of anything other than ride horses, drink and have sex.

These two men may have been physically compatible but other than that they should have ran in opposite directions. As a couple they were a disaster waiting to happen at every turn. Lies, mistrust and bad attitudes combined with secrets and too much sex and drinking, it was not a great combination. This isn't a romance, this is about two men negotiating whether they can stand one another enough to continue to have sex and partner in the rodeo.

I hate to say it but I cannot recommend this book. I suggest another Tory Temple book because while I didn't care at all for this one, she's a talented writer.

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

No comments:

Post a Comment