Friday, December 28, 2018

Release Day Review ~ Fox and Wolf (Apex Investigations) by Julia Talbot

Release Day Review ~ Fox and Wolf (Apex Investigations) by Julia Talbot


Title: Fox and Wolf
Series: Apex Investigations

Author: Julia Talbot
Release Date: December 28, 2018
Category: Paranormal, Mystery
Pages: 138

Werewolf PI Dylan Weems is a hired to solve the murder of a client’s customer. As an ex-cop, Dylan is the perfect man for the job, but he doesn’t expect the complication of alluring fox shifter Rey.
Ever since finding the dead body of one of his clients, Rey Mercier’s life is a mess, and he needs help desperately. He has no idea why he’s the target of some ruthless people or what he did to anger them. Hopefully Dylan and his motley crew of shifters at Apex Investigations can help him find out, but first Dylan and Rey have to deal with literal corporate tigers and dire crocodiles shifters… all while deciding what to do about the mate bond that’s becoming undeniable. And is that even possible between fox and wolf?




3 Stars!

Fox Shifter Rey Mercier is an “Information Expert”, a sort of procurer of things (I never fully understood what he truly did, unfortunately) whose latest job has become more than he can handle. His client is dead and people are after him for something he doesn’t know he has. He has no choice but to hire Apex Investigations to help find what these people are so determined to get from him.

Wolf Shifter Dylan Weems is assigned to Rey as his Investigator. As an ex cop he possesses the best skills for this type of case. Dylan knows there’s more to this case than there seems to be. Between his need to discover what’s going on and his strangely strong connection to Rey, Dylan will need to be at the top of his game to keep them both alive.

This is a hard book to rate. On one hand I really loved Rey and Dylan’s story. It had a great plot and I really liked the characters. I loved the many different types of Shifters that made up Apex Investigations and how they interacted. I loved the idea that this is setup to be a series, I’m definitely intrigued enough to read the next book when it comes out.

However, while I enjoyed all of those things, there was just something about the writing style that just rubbed me the wrong way. I’m not sure if it was partly due to editing issues or if it was the style itself. There were more than a few instances in which the characters used words in a sentence that just didn’t seem to fit. I found myself wondering if it was an autocorrect problem or something. Maybe there was a usage of slang I just didn’t understand, I’m not sure but it yanked me out of the story time and time again.

I also found annoying (this just bothered me and may not bother others) the fact that they focused on food so much. I felt like Dylan was always hungry and always thinking of food. The tuna sandwich in the beginning of the story might as well have been its own character. It was like some sort of obsession in Apex Investigations. I realize animals (humans included) love food but it was a tad too much.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and will probably read the next book. I only hope I can get on board with the writing so I can get lost in it more. I really want to fall in love with the story and the characters.

**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

No comments:

Post a Comment