Thursday, December 27, 2018

Book Reviews: Out In College Series, Books 1 & 2 by Lane Hayes



Derek Vaughn is a little too serious. He’s a type A control personality with a penchant for order and a love of water polo. But he’s determined to enjoy his last year of college. The real world with a serious job and big expectations can wait for a few months. He’s going soak up every minute on campus with his friends and teammates before he moves on. The only possible kink in his plan is the new guy on the team… also known as his nemesis.

Gabe Chadwick has big Olympic dreams. His transfer between Southern California universities has nothing to do with scholastics. The degree is his backup plan. He’s not there to party or make friends. And he certainly isn’t going to announce his sexuality. But he can’t deny there’s something special about the uptight team captain. However, when an unwitting friendship and mutual attraction collide, both will have to decide if this is the real thing or if they’re about to lose it all in the deep.





5 Stars

This is one of those books where I ask myself, “Why did I wait so long to read it”? It was wonderful and I absolutely adored both Derek and Gabe and they were amazing together. I thought their relationship and Derek’s acceptance and exploitation of his bisexuality felt natural and authentic. I loved the pace at which their relationship moved.

These two men were sweet, perfect and they just fit. I can’t say enough how much I absolutely adored this book and I’ve already dived into Out in the End Zone and am loving it so far and of course, I’m definitely anticipating the arrival of the third book in this series.

The story is well-written, sweet, sexy and a bit angsty, and well, it was just perfect. It’s a book I can definitely see myself revisiting in the future. Definitely recommendable!




Evan di Angelo is an upbeat, good-natured goofball who loves his friends and family…and football. A traumatic accident may have ended his hopes of playing professionally, but he’s made the most of his four years on the field at a small Southern California college. He’s learned the hard way to embrace change, take chances and try things outside of his comfort zone…like agreeing to play fake boyfriends for someone else’s senior project.

Mitch Peterson knows that being his authentic self is the path to true happiness. He’s grown from a shy, quiet kid from a broken home to an out and proud budding internet sensation bound for grad school. An awesome senior project is the key. It’s unlikely anyone will believe the hunky, straight athlete is Mitch’s new lover, but it’s worth a shot. However, as their tentative friendship blossoms into unexpected attraction, the lines between reality and fiction blur for both men. Evan is forced to face old demons and decide if he has the courage to take the next step and come out in the end zone.




5 Stars

After reading Out in the Deep I couldn’t wait to get to Out in the End Zone, so of course, I dove right in (pun not intended) and I absolutely loved it just as much as I did book one. Meeting Evan in the first book, I found him to be sweet and intriguing, so I was excited to see that this was his story. We don’t see much of Derek in Evan’s book, because Evan’s story runs pretty much concurrently with Derek and Gabe’s story, but we do get glimpses of them here and there.

I loved Evan and Mitch, they are opposites in many ways, but they fit together perfectly and I loved the back and forth banter and the easiness of their friendship and I adored watching them explore their attraction and fall in love with one another. The chemistry between them was out of this world and they were passionate and smoking hot together. Evan’s past, the secret he holds onto was heartbreaking and I thought his fears for embracing his sexuality were valid and well-founded.

The story is well-written and while I love Lane’s stories featuring older/mature characters, for me, NA is where she is at her best and her characters in their early 20’s/college age are my favorites. I love the college setting and the premise of this series and I absolutely can’t wait for book three. I am really hoping that won’t be the end of this series, because I’m looking forward to so much more! Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment