Monday, October 31, 2016

Book Review ~ The God of Jazz by Varian Krylov

Book Review ~ The God of Jazz by Varian Krylov

Book: The God of Jazz
Author: Varian Krylov
Release Date: September 25, 2016
Length: 326
GoodReads ~ Amazon


Blurb:


After years struggling to realize his dream of directing a feature film, on the final night of his fundraising campaign Godard is on the cusp of having everything he ever wanted. The man he loves is upstairs waiting for him, and he's just a few dollars short of his GoFundYourself goal.
Then everything falls apart.

His personal and professional life in ruins, when his old nemesis from film school offers to fund his dream project if he's willing to shoot it in Spain, Godard knows it's a deal with the devil. But he also has nothing left to lose.

Among the labyrinthine streets of Barcelona's Barrio Góthico, the city's vibrant music scene, and the sun-gilt beaches of the Costa Brava, Godard begins making shooting his dream project and putting his life back together, largely under the domineering gaze and deft touch of Ángel, the god of jazz.
But Ángel is keeping a secret, and a deal with the devil always comes at a price.





This is another hard review for me to write because I know I will most likely be in the minority. I wanted desperately to love The God of Jazz but, unfortunately, that was not the case. While the book was well-written, it just wasn't what I'd hoped. There are moments in which I thought it would never pick up, as it dragged a bit in the first half. And I really didn't get the chemistry between Godard and Angel. Maybe my lack of connection with any of the characters made it harder for me to feel this inexplicable pull the men seemed to have or maybe it was the aggressive, dominate sex they had from their first encounter. I like to be prepared for books that have a heavy dominance and submission theme. Hearing one of the MC's ordering the other to beg and calling him 'boy' is a turn off if I'm not prepared for it. While the first half of the book seemed to drag, the second half seemed to be where all the action was packed in. There are quite a few situations and I had to ask myself why. Serial rapist, sexual assault, car accidents, surprisingly precocious children, it's all in here. It was just too much for me. I'm sure that this book has an audience that will love it. I can appreciate the writing if not the story itself. However, by the end of this book, I was imagining myself traveling to Barcelona and sitting on the beach. 3 Stars! *Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

No comments:

Post a Comment