Friday, April 5, 2019

Release Day Review ~ A Cold Summer Sky (By The Numbers) by John Charles

Release Day Review ~ A Cold Summer Sky (By The Numbers) by John Charles 



Title: A Cold Summer Sky

Series: By The Numbers
Author: John Charles
Genre: Fiction, MM, Suspense, Mystery

Number of pages: 87
Words: 28300
Publication Date: April 5, 2019


Social links:
Blurb:
Sawyer Wahlstrom, CEO of Fidelity Independent Research Group (FIRG) rarely opened email from someone he didn’t know.  This one was different.
The subject line read Stop the NuHygen project or the next one will die.  The attached video showed a car being sideswiped, run off the road, and crashing into a line of parked cars at the school bus stop.  Children were screaming and it was apparent the driver of the sideswiped car was badly injured.
Asher Radman, special Investigations Unit of The FBI was tasked with finding answers, but he immediately hit a brick wall.  Everyone in the rural town of Thompsonville was hiding something.  What is NuHygen and why would someone go to extremes to stop its development.
Simple questions, or so he thought, until his search for answers puts his own life in jeopardy.



3 Stars!

I’m going to make this short and sweet because I don’t really know what to say. This is definitely a case of “it’s not you, it’s me” and I freely admit it. There is a lot going on in this book pertaining to the case and for those who love procedural, that’s a great thing. The author has a very intriguing idea here that in today’s social and political climate is very relevant and thought-provoking. I’m very impressed with the whole idea.

Here’s why I wasn’t loving it though and this all comes down to me. I was in the mood for sexy, I was in the mood for romantic suspense. I think after my previous read I needed that. A Cold Summer Sky is not that and for me, that had me a bit down as I read it. I kept trying to figure out when the romantic aspects were going to come into play and they really didn’t (just a touch with the man Asher’s been seeing).

Also and this was the case with the last book I read by this author, it’s more “telly” than “showy”. I’m the kind of reader that needs to feel the things playing out on the page and not just be told about them. It leaves me disconnected and unable to fully immerse myself in the characters or the story. With so many characters in one book, it becomes even more important to be able to distinguish voices between them all.

Asher got more depth than the rest which is natural since this is inevitably his series, however, I’m not sure I was so taken with him that I’ll want to run out for the next book the moment it comes out. I think I’d really have to find his next case to be something irresistibly tempting and a promise of something sexy.

Having said all of that, I want to make it clear that I think John Charles is a very talented author. He obviously has a mind for coming up with unique and realistic cases and conspiracies. He has a great mind for writing how the FBI and criminals work and interact. I’d never be able to write this type of story and make it sound plausible. If you’re into that type of read, I definitely think you’d enjoy this one.

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

No comments:

Post a Comment