Saturday, April 13, 2019

New Release Review: Kaidyn's Courage (Wild Magics #2) by Diana Waters

New Release Review: 
Kaidyn's Courage (Wild Magics #2) 
by Diana Waters



Kaidyn is the son of the queen and a trainee officer in the kingdom of Sareen. He is also a Half-Blood—his father is from Iskandir, a neighboring kingdom which has been at war with Sareen for many years. Bitter and angry at the prejudice he faces, Kaidyn meets Sorin, a healer from one of Sareen’s most prominent noble families. As their relationship deepens, the war between Sareen and Iskandir grows worse. Not only will the pair inevitably become involved with the conflict one way or another, but Sorin is also hiding a secret, and time is running out for them both.




3.5 Stars!

Kaidyn's Courage is book 2 in the Wild Magic series by Diana Waters, but it can be perfectly read as a standalone.

I really liked Kaidyn and Sorin and even if the story was a bit insta-something, it worked for them. Since the story is told from Kaidyn's POV, I found it a bit difficult to really understand Sorin. Don't get me wrong, I thought Sorin was a sweetheart and his Gift was really intriguing, but I would've liked seeing more of him. Kaidyn was nice enough, but he had a lot of issues with self-confidence due to his half-blood status. Sorin and Kaidyn had great chemistry, though, and I really liked them together.

While in general the writing was good and the story engaging, it could've been improved. I think some of the transitions could've been smoother and there were some points that I would've liked to have a bit more closure with, like for example, the mystery surrounding Kaidyn's father or what happened with Kaidyn's sister after she ordered the attack and why his mother allowed it to happen in the first place. I mean, we got glimpses here and there, but they were too vague to make sense of. While I liked the first book in the series a bit better, I found Kaidyn's Courage enjoyable and I have no trouble recommending it to fans of the fantasy genre.

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment