Thursday, January 10, 2019

Audiobook Review: Sweet Nothings by T. Neilson




Title: Sweet Nothings
Series: Amuse Bouche: Book One
Author: T. Neilson
Narrator: Simon Ferrar
Release Date: July 13, 2018
Category: Contemporary, Dreamspun Desires
Length: 5 hours, 49 minutes




Will a bitter bite from the past spoil a sweet romance?

Tristan Love, the youngest of seven brothers, is back in his hometown. He’s left the New York food scene and an abusive relationship behind him, but he holds his love of French pastries close to his heart and is determined to put his skills to use in a bakery of his own.

Returning to his childhood home means his meddlesome brother Simon will butt into his business, but before the bakery even opens its doors, Tristan’s delectable creations have the town’s mouths watering, and Jake, a cute mechanic, asks Tristan out. It all seems worthwhile….

That is, until the bakery burns down, Jake’s criminal past comes to light, and Tristan’s nasty ex rears his head where he is decidedly not wanted.





4.5 Stars Overall (Book & Audio)

This book was great and not what I was expecting at all. I thought for sure this would be another sugary sweet romance and we did get some cute details thrown in, but there’s a lot more than just that with this book. I was on the edge of my seat half the time trying to figure out what would happen next and was fully invested in this interesting story.

Tristan moves back home to open a bakery after leaving a bad relationship. Once he’s back in town he meets Jake, who is an ex-con from the “wrong” side of town. Everyone seems to be against their relationship from the very start and no one wants Tristan involved with Jake in any way. But since no one really knows what happened between Tristan and his horrible ex-bf, they really are focused on disliking the wrong person. I really just wish that Tristan was more open with his family about what happened, but that did add more intrigue and suspense to this book and what happens further along in the storyline.

I liked Jake and I really liked him in a relationship with Tristan and how they were together as a couple. You could tell that Jake really cared for him from the start, to the point he would do whatever it took to keep him safe. I just would have liked a little more communication between the two. They both seemed to have a hard time talking about their pasts and I would have liked it if they’d have been able to trust each other more.

I’ve never read this author, T. Neilson, before but I do hope we get more from them. I would definitely be interested in reading and listening to stories for Tristan’s brothers as well.

Audio – The narrator, Simon Ferrar, did great with this book. His voice for Tristan was a little annoying to me personally at times, but I do think that it fit Tristan’s personality perfectly, so it did not take away from the story at all, and Jake’s voice was wonderfully deep and matched him as well. Overall I think this book was a really good choice to listen to in audio format so I'm glad I gave this one a chance.

*** Audiobook copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement
. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment