Thursday, January 10, 2019

Audiobook Review: The Blueprint by SE Harmon



Title: The Blueprint
Author: S.E. Harmon
Narrators: Alexander Cendese and Sean Crisden
Release Date: June 30, 2018
Category: Contemporary
Length: 8 hours, 24 minutes




Kelly Cannon is satisfied with his life. He has friends, a wonderful family, and a great job. But his love life has reached a new level of pitiful. Why? Well, his heart decided to break all the rules. Don’t fall in love with a straight guy. And definitely don’t fall in love with your best friend.

NFL standout Britton “Blue” Montgomery has pressure coming at him from all sides. From his father, who’s only interested in Blue’s football career. From his coaches, who just want him to play without getting injured again. From the fans. From his agent. And from his mother, who has popped up on the radar after leaving his family years before. And now his relationship with Kelly is on shaky ground, and that frightens Blue more than anything.

When Kelly admits he’s in love with Blue, bonds are tested, and Blue has to decide what’s really important. He doesn’t want to lose the number-one person in his life, but the cost to keep Kelly close might be more than he’s willing to pay.

It’s a good thing his nickname is the Blueprint—it’s time to draft a new set of plans.




~5 Stars Overall for eBook and Audiobook~

Everything about this book worked for me, even though there were times that I was slightly irritated with the characters and their actions. I equally wanted to smack them and hug them and couldn’t decide which I wanted to do more and who I wanted to do each of those things to. But we get all kinds of tropes checked off in this book, it’s amazing how much was thrown in for it all to mesh so well together. We get the best friends to lovers. First-time gay experience. Geek and Jock, opposites attracting to each other. And I really feel like I might be missing more. But I think Kelly’s snarky, sarcastic and funny banter with Blue might be my favorite part of this book.

I also think that I liked this book more in audio format than I would have if I had just read the book instead. The two narrators for this book, Sean Crisden and Alexander Cendese, did such a great job collaborating and making sure that each man had the perfect voice for their character and personality, it really added another layer to this story for me. I was completely entertained throughout the entire book and enjoyed listening to this one in audio.

Kelly and Blue have been friends basically their entire lives. Kelly has been in love with Blue just as long. And, of course, Blue is completely and totally oblivious to his feelings… I mean how does that even happen? With most of Kelly’s actions during this book, I just don’t understand how Blue didn’t actually know how Kelly felt when it seemed pretty obvious to every single other person they knew. Blue tries hard to avoid and push away his feelings for Kelly, even though he is possessive and needy with their friendship; he doesn’t quite realize how deep his feelings are. Or does he?!? I understand how Blue and Kelly are worried about bringing their relationship into the light and how it will affect Blue's NFL career. And I get that they are worried about Blue getting hurt on the field when others find out. But what I didn’t get is when they finally figure out what they both want and need is each other, why Kelly pushes so hard to keep it a secret when he was just literally doing the opposite the entire rest of the book and wanting Blue not to deny him. Ugghh. This is why I have a love/hate relationship with these men. There was a lot of back and forth that kind of made me a little crazy, but the way this book and storyline is laid out, it just totally works. It was really great. I’m glad we get a book two because I cannot wait to see what happens next since this one ends in an HFN with no sort of epilogue in sight, we just get an abrupt sort of ending. I need to know what happens and how the rest of their time and lives together play out.

*** Audiobook copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my listening pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment