Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Review: The Sun Goes Down by James Lear (Feature: Author's Interview)

The Sun Goes Down by James Lear
Date of Publication: June 14, 2016

Blurb



Mitch Mitchell needs a vacation, and he is determined to make the most of his trip to the Mediterranean island of Gozo. Death never takes a break however, and at the behest of fellow doctor Bob Southern, Mitch soon finds himself investigating the demise of a young, gay lance corporal. The police have ruled it a suicide, but the young man's boyfriend claims it was murder. Suspecting an official cover-up of a queer scandal, Mitch gets to work on an investigation that leads him into a labyrinth of lies, false identities and secret sex.

With tension, humor and plenty of Mitch Mitchell's exuberant sexual encounters, The Sun Goes Down cranks up the Mediterranean heat for one of his most baffling and dangerous cases.

Available From


The Sun Goes Down is the fourth installment in the Mitch Mitchell series, taking him on a long needed vacation to a Mediterranean island where the men are as beautiful as the scenery.  Unfortunately his fun is interrupted all too soon with yet another murder. Faced with the apparent apathy those around him show when a gay man turns up dead in a supposed paradise, Mitch is determined to solve the case. 

As a newbie to the series, I have to say I was a bit unprepared for Mitch and his insatiable appetite for sex. However, I quickly fell under his spell. I enjoyed the mystery aspects and the humor of the story were very well done. The many characters we meet throughout the story truly brought it to life and by the end I felt as if I were in the story. 

Personally, I am a romantic at heart and tend to want more romance vs. erotica in my stories, however, I must say the story was very well written and thought out. I would definitely recommend The Sun Goes Down to fans of the mystery/suspense genre.  

4 Stars!

***A copy of this book was provided by the publisher to Bayou Book Junkie in exchange for a fair and honest review***

What are your current projects?  
I’ve just finished a new novel, which is a stand-alone story about a straight married man who suddenly wants to have sex with other men. Obviously this required a lot of painstaking research, it was quite exhausting. Next, I think I’ll return to my other mystery strand with Dan Stagg, the butch ex-marine.

Tell us about your first book. What would readers find different about the first one and your most recent published work?
The first one was called The Low Road, and it was my rendition of Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic novel Kidnapped. I always thought it was an extremely homo-erotic book, so I just made it more explicit. I don’t think there’s anything that different with the current stuff – it’s the same formula of a strong narrative, a lot of humour and loads of really explicit sex that somehow manages to have something to do with the plot. And there’s usually some dirty pun in the title.

Is there a message in your novel that you want readers to grasp?  
There’s only one thing I want readers to grasp when they read my novels.


About James Lear



James Lear is the nom de plume of prolific and acclaimed novelist, Rupert Smith. He lives in London and is the 2008 Winner of Erotic Awards "Best Writer".

Find James Lear Online

Hosted by:

No comments:

Post a Comment