Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Release Day Review ~ Dyeing to be Loved (Curl Up and Dye Mysteries, #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker

Release Day Review ~ Dyeing to be Loved (Curl Up and Dye Mysteries, #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker

Book Title: Dyeing to be Loved (Curl Up and Dye Mysteries, #1)
Author: Aimee Nicole Walker
Publisher: Aimee Nicole Walker
Publish Date: November 8, 2016
Page Count: 224
Buy Link: Amazon
Covert Art: Jay Aheer of Simply Defined Art
Photographer: Wander Aguiar

Blurb:

Gabriel Wyatt is a big city Detective living in a small Ohio town. He expects a peaceful existence once he moves from Miami, Florida, but that’s the last thing he finds. Instead, Gabe discovers murder, mayhem, and one smart-mouthed stylist he can’t get out of his head.

Josh “Jazz” Roman is a small-town business owner with big dreams and an attitude to match. He finds himself in the middle of a case that brings the dreamy detective to the front door of his Curl Up and Dye salon. Josh learns that the biggest threat to him isn’t a killer; it’s a man who wants something from him that he vowed to never give again - his heart.

Both men deny that there’s something between them, even though they’re drawn together like magnets. Can Gabe convince Josh to let down his guard or will Josh let past hurts destroy his chance at a happy future?

Dyeing to be Loved is the first book in the Curl Up and Dye Mystery series. These books are written to be read in order. They contain sexually explicit material and are intended for adults 18 and older.





Other than feeling a bit lost at the beginning of the book wondering whether or not this was a follow up to another book or a standalone. I found Josh and Gabe very entertaining. They had great chemistry and their banter was amusing. Josh, or as some of the town folk call him Jazz, owns the best Salon in town. After an altercation in his shop between the town's former and current First Lady, Former Mayor's wife Georgia Beaumont is found murdered in her home. While most people know there is no way that Josh would kill anyone Detective Gabe Wyatt has to question him. Unfortunately for both Josh and Gabe they share a brief history with one another. Gabe wants the chance to spend more time with Josh but Josh definitely doesn't feel the same as Gabe, having had his ego bruised overhearing Gabe disparaging him. Fate seems to keep throwing them together as evidence points at Josh. Gabe knows it can't be him but he has to question him. Things don't change for Gabe, he still can't give up on Josh. Too bad there's a killer on the loose. This was my first book by Aimee Nicole Walker but now that I have read this story I know I will be reading more of her books. The writing was very well done and engaging. The characters were fun and likable and I found myself easily connecting to them. All in all, I would definitely recommend Dyeing to be Loved! 4.5 Stars!

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*


4* An interesting departure for this author, and my first tale of hers that ends in not a firm, cemented HEA, but a WIP HEA. This is not a criticism, but a refreshing change. 

I've read most of this author's Fated Hearts series, which recently ended, so I was excited to see a new book from her. It's another series, but unlike as with the former, this seems as if it'll be a series about these new leads and their life together as a WIP. I kind of think they'll be working together in the future, as well as becoming a couple, which is an interesting dynamic, considering one's a locally feted hairdresser and business owner, and the other's a detective.

It's a lighter, but not lesser, read from ANW, with a loud, out and proud Jazz, who manages to be pretty much the stereotype of a gay male hairdresser, but just the right side of being overblown (he's not quite Renae Kaye's JAY, but he kind of comes close) and at the same time, he's got a conscience and a serious heart and a lot of him goes into everything he does, professionally and personally. I liked his attitude, his 'southern manners' and that he thought about others more than himself. I liked his strength, his integrity and that he always looked to do the right thing. 

I also liked Gabriel, who was much more of a no-nonsense type, and who, though a complete contrast to Jazz, respected and valued him and his insight and help in trying to deal with the murder and mayhem that seemed to be connected to Jazz.

Despite the murder and mayhem in suburbia, it's a lite read, one without angst or real danger and yes, I did see something coming that strangely, neither guy saw coming, but I didn't see the twists and machinations that apparently took place in their part of small town America. It was an interesting and well thought out tale that kept me hooked all the way through, and the hot, sexy times did, too.

It's a nice change, and a good vehicle to meet this new couple, and I'll certainly be watching out for more of them and their adventures.


ARC courtesy of the author and Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure.


Author Bio:

I am a wife and mother to three kids, three dogs, and a cat. When I’m not dreaming up stories, I like to lose myself in a good book, cook or bake. I'm a girly tomboy who paints her fingernails while watching sports and yelling at the referees. I will always choose the book over the movie. I believe in happily-ever-after. Love inspires everything that I do.  Music keeps me sane.

I’d love to hear from you.

You can reach me at:

2 comments: