Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Release Day Review: Rebuild My Heart by Ariel Tachna



Title: Rebuild My Heart
Series: Lexington Lovers: Book 4
Author: Ariel Tachna
Release Date: February 5, 2019
Category: Contemporary, Dreamspun Desires
Pages: 230



A love built to last.

When Derek Jackson is hired to renovate the LGBT bookstore that’s also Owen Hensley’s home, opposites attract. Derek is a big burly blue-collar guy, about ten years older than slight, sweet, and bookish Owen. As they spend time together, it becomes clear that each handsome outside leads to a beautiful interior. Far from the shy twink he appears, Owen has a rock-solid foundation that helped him put himself through college and start his own business. Behind Derek’s strong façade waits a tender heart that’s been battered by a rough family past—something Owen understands.

After Owen’s runaway nephew lands on his doorstep, it throws a wrench in their plans. Derek can’t ask Owen to choose, but he doesn’t think he can take second place with his lover the way he always has with his family. Can they find a way to keep their romance standing?



4 stars

Rebuilding my Heart is Ariel Tachna’s fourth book in the Lexington Lovers series. I would definitely recommend reading book three before this, as the characters from there play a prominent role in this book.

I was happy to see Derek get a story of his own. I liked him for three-quarters of the book; I thought he was fun, easy going, and perfect for Owen. He’s a hard worker and has a rough family background, though more time should have obviously spent on his family issues. Though I understood Derek’s feelings and behavior, I struggled to get past my strong dislike of him once he wasn’t such a jerk. His background, though hard on him, was nothing compared to Owen's. Derek was 40 years old and I struggled to understand why he allowed his family so much control over his life. It made no sense, and I never did understand it.

Owen was a character! He came from a tough family background, was insecure but he wasn’t letting that hold him back. He worked to overcome his past. He didn't have a good history with relationships but he learned from the mistakes. He was stronger than he thought, and when his nephew showed up at his door, he did what family is supposed to do. He loved him, supported him and provided for him. And, Owen loved books - what’s not to love!

I loved seeing characters from the previous story and getting an update on their lives. This is a romance so, of course, Derek and Owen worked through their issues. Both characters had rough histories to overcome, and Owen’s was frightening. There’s an epilogue that shows their HEA. I really enjoyed this story and thought it was a good addition to the series. If you haven’t read this series, I would definitely recommend it!

**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by DreamSpinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.
**

No comments:

Post a Comment