Sunday, July 8, 2018

Book Reviews ~ Salvation (The Protectors Book 2) by Sloane Kennedy

Book Reviews ~ Salvation (The Protectors Book 2) by Sloane Kennedy



Title: Salvation
Series: Protectors Book 2
Author: Sloane Kennedy
Pages: 367


Trauma surgeon Ronan Grisham lost everything the day the man he loved was stolen from him in a brutal attack. Driven by a thirst for vengeance, he turns his hatred into building an underground group that can do what he couldn’t that fateful day…take the lives of the guilty to save the lives of the innocent. But years later, he’s forced to confront the one link to his past that he can’t sever.

Seven years after the loss of his parents in a violent home invasion that left him permanently scarred both inside and out, 21-year-old Seth Nichols is trying to put his life back together so he can take over the reins of his father’s global shipping empire. But the last person he expects to come back into his life is the man he drove away with one innocent, stolen kiss.

With one brush of his lips, Seth managed to do to Ronan what no other had since the day Ronan watched the light in his fiancĂ©’s eyes go out forever. He made him need again. But Ronan can’t need anyone, least of all his dead fiancĂ©’s younger brother. Because even one touch from Seth could shatter Ronan’s carefully constructed world and Ronan knows there’s no coming back from that a second time.

But when a series of escalating attacks against Seth forces Ronan back into his life, Seth knows it’s his last chance to show Ronan he can be the man the broken surgeon needs. Only the Ronan who returns isn’t the Ronan Seth fell in love with so long ago…

Can Seth be Ronan’s salvation or will he end up destroying them both?
 





5 Stars 

I’ve read one of Sloane Kennedy’s collaborations, but this was my first individual book. I know, I know, I’m really behind, but my co-bloggers rave about her writing, so I figured while I had a bit of downtime, I’d dive in and give one a try. While this series is probably better read in order, I don’t really care for MMM, so I started with book two. My co-blogger was there to answer any questions I had, but truthfully, it wasn’t really necessary. As the story is laid out the author gives enough backstory on both Ronan and Seth that the story works well as a standalone.

Although this is my first SK book, it definitely won’t be my last. The author did a great job with the balance between the mystery/suspense portion of the story, as well as the romance portion. There was a good mixture of both.

I love broken characters, they are some of my favorites, and both Seth and Ronan click that box. Their stories were absolutely heartbreaking and as I learned what these men had been through and how much they had both suffered in the past, I’m amazed they can still function in their day to day lives.

Together, they had amazing chemistry and the sex, omg, the sex was passionate, intense, plentiful and sizzling hot!

I loved Seth, but, well, there is a difference between loving someone, supporting and being there for them and being their doormat and Seth was definitely walked on at times when it came to Ronan. I know that Ronan has been through a great deal, but I still wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him to open his eyes and trust what Seth was offering, thankfully, he finally managed to get himself there.

I’m not one for violence or breaking the law, but I can respect what Ronan does. Too often the justice system doesn’t work as it should and these men that Ronan and his employees take out deserve the punishment they receive, in fact, I believe death is letting some of these people off too easy. I was pleased that there isn’t a lot of on-page violence.

The story is well-written, angsty and dark, yet hopeful. Although I had a feeling who the bad guy was, and I was correct, the story kept me riveted and turning the pages and I can’t wait to get to the next book in the series! Very recommendable!



5 Stars!

***Updated 7/7/2018***

It does not matter how many times I read this book, it gets me every single time. I love this story and I adore these men. I can’t imagine living with the atrocities they’ve faced in their pasts and the fact that they love each other so fiercely afterward is what makes them such important characters in the entire series.

I recommend this and all of Sloane Kennedy’s books. She is a great and gifted author and I never seem to go wrong when I pick up one of her books. The Protectors Series is definitely one of my all-time favorites. 

***
Original Review

Wow! I loved this book, more than the first one actually, which I have to say surprised me. I loved Absolution and while Ronan intrigued me, I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about him when I first started Salvation. He had seemed so cold and dangerous, though I knew he had a heart buried somewhere below that dark impenetrable shell. However, I perceived him quickly changed as I was able to find out more of his story. I pretty much fell in love with him from the very beginning of the book.

The same could be said of Seth, who broke my heart more than once. His loss throughout the book is hard to imagine and I understood why he was the way he was. I loved him and felt the connection to him and Ronan made the best kind of sense. They balanced one another and brought peace to the other.

There were quite a few moments where I felt myself tear up at what both men had gone through. Ronan's brutal attack and the injuries he felt both physically as well as emotionally were almost too hard to read. Everything he went through understandably caused him to be who he now is.

This book was very well written and thought out. Both men balanced and brought peace to the other. I was very happy with how they were able to begin to heal each other. While this may be the second book in the series I felt as if it were truly the beginning of everything that comes after.

I also have to say that I felt drawn to Hawk's character and wanted so badly to find out more about him. The excerpt at the end of the book has me biting my nails for the next story in the Protectors series. Sloane Kennedy has definitely become one of my go-to authors with this series!




No comments:

Post a Comment