Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Release Day Review: Fire and Granite by Andrew Grey



Title: Fire and Granite
Series: Carlisle Deputies: Book Two
Author: Andrew Grey
Release Date: July 10, 2018
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 193


Dreamspinner Press


The heat is growing from the inside, but danger is building on the outside.
Judge Andrew Phillips runs a tight ship in his courtroom. He’s tough, and when he hands down a sentence, he expects to be obeyed. So when a fugitive named Harper escapes and threatens his life, Andrew isn’t keen on twenty-four/seven protection… especially not from Deputy Clay Brown. They have a past, one that could cause problems in their careers.


But with Clay assigned to Andrew and the two of them together every minute, there’s nowhere to hide from their attraction—or from the fact that there’s much more than chemistry blooming between them. As the threat intensifies, Clay knows he’ll do anything it takes to protect the people who are taking their places in his heart: Andrew and his young niece and nephew.




4.5 Stars! 

Fire and Granite is book 2 in Andrew Grey’s Carlisle Deputies series, which is a spin-off of his Carlisle Cops series. You may be able to read this book as a standalone, or this series, but in my opinion, is more enjoyable because all the characters are familiar. And, I think this one, more than the previous book in this series, involved characters from Carlisle Cops and I enjoy seeing those characters reappear. So, do what works best for you (read them in order, lol)!

Let me tell you a secret here, I love Andrew Grey books. Not much of a secret if you read my reviews of his books. They are a perfect mix of romance, sex and happy ever after. I think his characters are normal people living their lives and lucky to find love. For me, these are what true romance books are made of.

Clay is a deputy and when a fugitive escapes, he’s assigned to protect Judge Andrew Phillips, who has drawn the attention of said escaped fugitive. Clay and Andrew only have a superficial relationship within the confines of the courtroom but when they’re thrown together in this situation, the barriers Andrew has erected to hide his attraction to Clay don’t remain. But, Andrew has a lot more than just the fugitive to worry about. His sister’s mental health issues come to a head and he ends up as caretaker of his niece and nephew.

Both men are hard-working and know what they want from life. Clay is more flexible and easily goes with the flow. Andrew struggles a little when things are not kept in their neat places and has to work harder to accept the changes happening in his life. Though at first, both men aren’t close, you see the closeness and relationship building when the masks come down. I thought Andrew and Clay were both easy to love characters. My one concern with this book, and all books by Andrew Grey is how the MC’s get children. First, let me say, I love that his books involve children. I love seeing his characters interact with children and make them a part of their life. I think when done well, it changes the book and shows different sides to the characters. But, as soon as I find out that one of Andrew’s characters has a sibling with a child/children, I know what’s coming. Siblings with children do not fare well in Andrew Grey’s books, lol. Though I give him credit in this one, the sister didn’t die but she didn’t have her children anymore. Think of the siblings. ;)

Despite the treatment of siblings, I still love Andrew Grey books and this one is no exception! There is action in this book in the hunt for the fugitive and eventual capture. There’s a beautiful HEA with two men who deserve it. And some of my favorite characters from previous books make an appearance, which I enjoy immensely! Make sure to grab the books in this series and the spin-off, shut yourself away from all distractions and enjoy some sweet, sweet romance.

**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by DreamSpinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

No comments:

Post a Comment