Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Release Day Review: Soul Bond by JS Harker




Title: Soul Bond
Author: JS Harker
Release Date: July 17, 2018
Category: Urban Fantasy, Dreamspun Beyond
Pages: 203



Dreamspinner Press

Stealing his heart.
As a thief and a warlock, Noah survives by using his wit and charm to prey on the privileged. His dangerous criminal boss wants an enchanted dagger belonging to a family of wealthy mages, including their pampered—but handsome—son, Ben. Failing to complete the job will be hazardous to Noah’s survival.
Noah bumps into Ben at a lavish party, and as soon as they meet, the connection’s undeniable, and it goes much further than ordinary attraction. Their bond reaches into their souls, entwining and changing their magic.
Which Noah thinks he can use to get to the dagger. After all, he isn’t sure this soul bond Ben seems so obsessed with is even real.
He also doesn’t count on being caught red-handed…. Or falling in love.





3.5 Stars!

Noah is a warlock who makes his living as a thief. Tasked to steal a dagger from a prominent Mage family, Noah attends a party where he meets Ben, a mage he is inexplicably drawn to. Although he knows he should focus solely on retrieving his quarry, he lets his guard down slightly and decides to dance with Ben. Noah never imagined that a simple touch or a seductive dance would change his life and his magic so intensely.

Discovering Ben is the infamous son of his mark is definitely not a good thing. If Noah doesn’t get this dagger to his boss he may not live to see another day. Unfortunately, though, Ben is determined to get in his way and no matter what the consequences, he intends to get close to Noah. It’s a rare gift to find one's soul bond. Even if everything is stacked against these two, they’ll have to find a way to be together.

I wish I wouldn’t have found myself as lost as I did. I feel as if I had no clue about what was actually going on and while I think the author attempted to give background and do some world-building it just wasn’t enough. I wanted and needed more.

I liked both characters but because I felt as if some backstory was missing, it was hard to truly connect to either one. I almost felt as if their personalities weren’t always consistent and I wasn’t sure what to make of them.

I definitely think the premise of the story was good and I could see how this could develop into a very good series. I like the idea of the division between Mages and Warlocks and how they fit in this society, the hierarchical structures and the addition of the fey. However, it was a bit confusing (at least to me) and I feel like for future books it needs to be fleshed out some more.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

No comments:

Post a Comment