Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Release Day Reviews ~ Snowblind by Eli Easton

Release Day Review ~ Snowblind by Eli Easton

Title: Snowblind

Author: Eli Easton
Release Date: March 1, 2017
Category: Contemporary, Dreamspun Desires
Pages: 196

Snow, steam, and secrets.
  
The latest snowstorm carries something unexpected to the doorstep of Hutch’s secluded Alaskan cabin: a stranger named Jude, the most beautiful man Hutch has ever seen. Jude says he’s in the area for a ski trip and that he fled a domineering lover, thinking he could make it into town. But Hutch is a suspicious SOB and treats his unwanted guest warily. The problem is Jude isn’t just gorgeous, he’s funny and smart and flirtatious.
Two gay men snowed in for three days—things happen. Really good things. By the time the storm clears, Hutch finds himself a little too attached to Jude Devereaux, San Francisco-based male model. But is Jude what he claims to be? Or is he entangled in the secrets Hutch moved to Alaska to escape?



*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Well, let me tell you this story went a completely different direction than I ever expected. At first I found the story to be a little slow, but not to worry, that doesn't last very long before you're wondering what the heck is going on! Secretive man Hutch lives in the middle of nowhere and is suspicious when a man turns up on his property disoriented and half frozen. Against his better judgement, he brings the man in and takes care of him. Jude is the most beautiful man Hutch has ever seen, and it's easy for him to understand why he's a successful model, even though he's having trouble believing Jude's story. Eventually, he lets down his guard, and he and Jude find a way to pass the time while snowed in. Only, maybe Hutch has a right to be suspicious of the perfect Jude.

I don't want to give anything away about what happens in this book, and if you read the blurb, let me tell you the author is giving nothing away! I was a little distracted at first because I thought this story seemed similar to another I read about a couple snowed in together. Let me tell you, that is the only similarity between those two books. As this is the first book I've read by this author, and add in the the beginning of this story, I totally was expected an instalove, happily ever, sappy, sweet romance. Whew, there may have been a HEA, but let me tell you nothing came easy in this story. Seriously, you're going to have to read this book (and that's no hardship) to understand this review!

Hutch's secretiveness hides a man of immense skills, grief and talents. Jude's beautiful exterior hides a man of hidden depths, fears and skills. Together the men will find a beautiful love and an even more beautiful future that we get to see. Honestly, this is just such a well written story, that it doesn't take long to pull you into it, and then you finding yourself rushing through to see what's going to happen next. It's one of those situations that I didn't want the story to end but I couldn't wait to get to the end because I had to know what happened. This is a must read!!

Rating: 5 stars



5 Stars! 

A stunning book that took me so by surprise that I actually found myself stopping, blinking, checking the blurb and then powering through it.

This is a tale that delivers SO MUCH MORE than the blurb implies - it literally threw me for a loop, nearly made me late starting my job as I was so engrossed, and had me reading in my breaks and on the way home. It's a pretty much perfect read, which is all the more impressive as it's a shorter length of tale that can all too often be rushed.

So, I can't tell you too much about the tale or I'd spoil it for you, and I wouldn't do that, as it absolutely needs to be savoured. It's a tale that I thought was going to be a sweet, light, slightly frou-frou tale (and I do not at all mean that disrespectfully, but the title Dreamspun Desires doesn't always imply 'deep'), but it ended up having such a twist (or few) to it, that I paused, blinked, went and checked the blurb and then just got on with it.

I couldn't believe the depth that EE gave to the Jude character, though I had suspected that Hutch had a past that was on a need-to-know basis, and for the tables to be turned the way they were, was impressive. I believed in their initial attraction, and I was totally into the way in which Jude came into Hutch's life, and then when things unravelled and the true story came out, my admiration for the author's plotting skills went off the scale. I loved that EE threw me and surprised me throughout the tale.

It's a tale that ends with the leads living their HEA in their little paradise, but the author added a touch of realism to it that made me appreciate it all the more, and I loved that the guys didn't choose a glossy new life over their little set up. It's a 5-Star Keeper.

ARC courtesy of Dreamspinner Press and Bayou Book Junkie, for my reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment