Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Two Cowboys and a Baby by BA Tortuga

Release Day Review ~ Two Cowboys and a Baby by BA Tortuga
Title: Two Cowboys and a Baby

Author: BA Tortuga

Release Date: March 15, 2017
Category: Contemporary, Dreamspun Desires,  Western
Pages: 220



A little bundle of joy means big changes.
Hoss McMasters has a working ranch, a bull riding career, a nosy momma, and a best friend he’s been in love with since he can remember. He’s a busy, happy cowboy, living the good life.
Then one morning he discovers a baby on his doorstep.
Well, Hoss does what any reasonable man would do—he calls his momma and his buddy, Sheriff Pooter, and they head to the clinic to see if Doc knows of any suddenly not-so-pregnant girls.
In the meantime, Hoss and his best friend, Bradley, have their hands full trying to care for an infant, run a ranch, and deal with the sudden confession that Bradley doesn’t hate Hoss for coming out to him in high school. In fact, Bradley’s been trying to catch Hoss’s attention for damn near a decade.


4 Stars!

If you like sweet and fluffy friends to lovers stories, Cowboys and babies, this book is for you!

Best friends Hoss and Bradley have been in love forever, however, neither has the courage to make a move. When Hoss finds a baby on his front porch, his life is turned upside down. He has no idea who could've abandoned a newborn baby and since he's never been with a woman, he is pretty certain the baby can't be his.

When the sheriff and doctor inform him what will happen to an abandoned baby, Hoss, with a nudge from his mama, volunteers to keep her until a parent can be located. Hoss has never taken care of a baby and he knows he needs help. Calling on his best friend Bradley seems the smartest thing to do. Bradley has always there for him and with his help they might survive an itty bitty baby.

This is definitely a cute and sweet story. Two men, cowboys at that, are suddenly alone to raise a newborn baby with only a dog to assist them. How could this not be cute and fun, right? I'm a sucker for men with kids so I was super excited about this one.

I enjoyed Hoss and his vulnerability in the beginning of the story. He had absolutely no idea what he was doing and the whole thing scared him. He took to it quickly, though, and it was pretty much just adjusting his daily routine to include a baby. He had Bradley there to help and they made a pretty good team.

What I didn't care for was how the men were portrayed. I felt as if they were not the sharpest tools in the shed and it bothered me. I'm sure it was to add humor to the story but I had trouble finding it that funny. Maybe it may just be me. I also thought the men had a major problem with communication. They could've been a couple long before they became one if they'd only talked a bit (it was ridiculous) and as far as their conflict later in the story, I could scream. I would have punched Bradley right in the junk if I could. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever and said to me that he was either too stupid, too immature or a jerk. Either way, I lost a lot of respect for him.

In the end, I found Two Cowboys and a Baby entertaining, however, it wasn't my favorite. I'd still recommend it to those who love these types of stories.

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*



*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

Hoss has a pretty good life. He owns his ranch, he rides bulls in a rodeo, he has loving parents, good friends and a loyal, smart dog. His best friend lives in a trailer on his ranch and is willing to lend a hand when needed. Then a baby is left on his doorstep, and Hoss has no idea why anyone would leave him a baby. He's gay and never been with a woman so there's no way that the baby is his, no matter how many times people comment that she looks like him. When Hoss needs help taking care of the baby, of course his best friend Bradley steps up to help him. He's been in love with Hoss since they were teens, and he's happy to have some time pretending they're a family. And Bradley finally gets the courage to share with Hoss that he's not straight either, and Hoss allows himself to see Bradley as more than his best friend.

I really enjoyed this story! I liked both characters and loved their interactions together. Next time I hear someone talk about a cowboy, Hoss is going to be what I imagine. He's the stereotypical cowboy that we've all heard about. We learn early what type of man he is when reading the interactions with his dog. Even though he's a gay cowboy in Texas, he still has loving, supportive friends and family. I loved his momma and thought it was hilarious that all the men were afraid of making her mad. Bradley was the guy who seemed to just be taking advantage of his best friend, but in all reality, he is a hard worker who jumps to help anyone in need. There is no job too small for Bradley to volunteer to help. And when Hoss has a baby to take care of, Bradley is right there helping. He comes from a large family and is no stranger to baby human females. :)

The baby left on a doorstep trope. I have never read this trope in gay romance before, and the author did a fabulous job with the storyline! The revelations from Doc and then Hoss' momma completely surprised me, but I thought it was really well done! In all honesty, it's not like any of these things have never happened in real life so I totally found it was something believable, especially when you live in a small, rural area like they do.

I found myself laughing several times during my reading! All of the characters in this book are just that, characters (in the good sense)! I think the interactions between all of the characters are so real and show some of the good things of growing up in a rural area, where everyone knows everyone. I thought this book was really well written and loved all the dialogue between characters. This is definitely a book you should check out!

Rating: 4 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment