Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Release Day Review: BFF by KC Wells



Title: BFF
Author: K.C. Wells
Release Date: June 5, 2018
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 189

Dreamspinner Press


I’m about to do something huge, and it could change... everything.
I met Matt in second grade, and we’ve been inseparable ever since. We went to the same schools, studied at the same college. When we both got jobs in the same town, we shared an apartment. And when my life took an unexpected turn, Matt was there for me. Every milestone in my life, he was there to share it. And what’s really amazing? After all these years, we’re still the best of friends.
Which brings me to this fragile, heart-stopping moment: I want to tell him I love him, really love him, but I’m scared to death of what he’ll say. If I’ve got this all wrong, I’ll lose him—forever.




3 Stars!

I really wanted to like this one more than I did. I love friends to lovers stories, but the lovers part of this one didn't quite work for me. I did enjoy reading their story, though.

A present-day David decides to write his and Matt's story for National Novel Writing Month. He starts when they meet in second grade and we travel with them on various memorable adventures that they had as children and young adults. I liked the characters and their friendship was amazing. They both learned life lessons in their time as friends, although we mostly see the lessons that David learns since the stories come from his viewpoint.

Matt is the kind of friend I think most people would love to have. He does his best to help his family and his friends. David is socially awkward, smart, and has a good heart. I really liked these two as friends, they brought out the best in each other. The problem for me came in the change to their relationship. I felt like there was something missing from David's revelation that he was in love with Matt. I suspect my issue comes from the fact that David wrote the narrative and he previously described himself as missing the types of signals and signs that would have shown they had chemistry or an attraction to each other. Don't get me wrong, I think they make a good couple, but I didn't feel any chemistry between them until they moved towards having sex together.

This story is different than most of the books I've read by this author. David and Matt do not get together until the 80% mark and the sex is toned down from her usual books. If you like watching two friends grow up together and eventually fall in love together, this book is for you.

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment