Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Release Day Review ~ All That Glitters by Kate Sherwood

Release Day Review ~ All That Glitters by Kate Sherwood

Title: All That Glitters
Author: Kate Sherwood
Release Date: June 26, 2018
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 201

Dreamspinner  Amazon  
No matter what he tells himself, wealthy NYC architect Liam has never been able to forget his first love, Ben. But as he approaches midlife and realizes something is missing, can he forgive himself for the worst mistake he ever made—the one that left a hole no amount of career success can fill? Or will fear keep him from the full life he really wants?
Liam and Ben were childhood sweethearts, then college boyfriends. But when Liam cheated on Ben, Ben forced himself to cut ties and move on. He’s still living in the small town where they grew up, teaching, but it’s not the life he imagined for himself as a younger man. Still, when Liam returns, he can’t risk his heart again. He certainly can’t allow himself to love Liam again after fighting so hard to get over him.
Neither man wants to let go of the past and face their apprehension at starting over. They don’t want to fall in love a second time—but sometimes love happens whether it’s wanted or not.




3.75 Stars

Liam and Ben were best friends, as well as lovers, but after Liam is caught cheating, Ben kicks him to the curb, so Liam moves a couple of hours away from their small town of North Falls to New York City where he makes a life for himself as an up and coming Architect. Ben, on the other hand, stays behind in North Falls and becomes a teacher.

After not getting a project at work he thought he deserved, Liam takes off to North Falls, usually, when he does this he turns around at the welcome sign and heads back home, but today he keeps going. What will happen when he comes face to face with his past?

I’ve read a few of Kate Sherwood’s books and have loved them. All That Glitters started off promising. It was quirky and hilariously funny. The antics of Ben and Liam, combined with those of some of the secondary characters, had me laughing out loud and although the story has humor throughout, which I really enjoyed, I wanted more romance. More focus and time with Liam and Ben as a couple.

The story itself is well-written and, as I said it’s laugh-out-loud funny, but for me, there wasn’t enough romance. It was too rushed and really we get maybe two or three scenes that have Liam and Ben romantically involved. The majority of the story focused on everything that was going on in the little town. This part kept me entertained and gets an A +, but as for the romance, it probably gets a D. 😞

Still, the story was hilarious and filled with lovable characters, it was definitely enjoyable and I’d recommend it!

* Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. *



3 Stars

A second chance love story for Liam and Ben.

Fifteen years after leaving town, Liam returns without even realizing why, only that it feels like he should. He’s no longer confident about his job in New York and realizes he’s not happy. Seeing his ex, Ben, Liam realizes that he still needs him. However, Ben is still reeling from Liam’s rejection even after all these years.

Honestly, this was not my favorite Kate Sherwood book. I had a hard time truly connecting with Liam and that was pretty much from the moment I started the story. Something about him just never clicked for me.

Ben was different. I liked Ben a lot more than Liam but he still frustrated me and after a while, I just felt like the past was the past and it was time to let it go.

I don’t know whether it was my mood when I read the story or the story itself so I don’t want to reveal much. This is one that I’ll just say you’ll have to make your own opinions about. I will say though, I love Kate Sherwood so I will be reading her next book.
*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment