Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Release Day Review ~ The Music of Love by Sandine Tomas

Release Day Review ~ The Music of Love by Sandine Tomas



Title: The Music of Love
Author: Sandine Tomas
Release Date: June 19, 2018
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 209

Dreamspinner  Amazon

Sometimes the music of love skips a beat….

Paralegal by day, musician by night, Julian has an expiration date stamped on his forehead when it comes to love. No relationship has made it past a year, so Julian avoids romance like the plague and concentrates on his music instead.

Which works fine until gorgeous, smart, and funny Zachary joins Julian’s firm. One look at the man and Julian knows he’s dangerous. No matter what, he can’t fall for Zachary. He has to spare Zachary the pain of dumping Julian at the one-year mark. His brilliant plan? Ask a straight friend to pose as his significant other to keep Zachary away. Not surprisingly, his scheme does little to dampen the attraction—on either side.

When Zachary gives Julian a second chance despite his deception, Julian thinks his curse might be broken. But then he’s faced with the impossible choice between a life with Zachary and living his dream of touring with the band….





3.75 Stars 

Ugh, I’m so torn because I absolutely loved both Julian and Zachary, well, when I didn’t want to strangle one or both of them. I loved watching them fall in love and I really liked that even before the first half of the book they were an established couple, but this story had WAY TOO MUCH DRAMA!! It’s so anxiety-ridden, that I had to actually step away. It was either walk away for a bit and breathe or take a Xanax. 


I love established couples, and while Zach and Julian meet at the beginning of the story, they are an established couple throughout most of the story. I know you need conflict to make a story move along, have it be interesting and make sure the reader doesn’t fall asleep, but this story went overboard. Until the very end, I couldn’t let myself enjoy Zach and Julian’s time together, because I was constantly on the edge of my seat waiting for it all to blow up and fall apart. And, as if Julian and Zach’s own insecurities weren’t enough, the author had to go and add Zach’s lovely friend Marc, who I hope will meet an unfortunate end when someone, perhaps Julian, pushes him in front of a speeding train!! (Argh!) Okay, I feel a bit better now. 

Zach and Julian had amazing chemistry, and you could feel the love they shared coming off the pages at you. Personally, I would have loved some on page sex, but that’s just my preference. The writing is good, I actually really liked the author's writing style. It was easy to read and filled with humor throughout the first half of the story. I just wish I could say I enjoyed reading the book, but while I enjoyed Zach and Julian and there were some great secondary characters here too, I think it was just too anxiety-filled for me to truly have enjoyed the content of the story. 

* Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. *






No comments:

Post a Comment