Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Audiobook Review: Puppy by R. Phoenix




Puppy by R. Phoenix

Narrated by JJ Jenness


In a dark world where humans are little more than fodder for vampires, Caleb is looking for a break...even if that break means he has to become Liam's plaything. When he gives up his freedom, Caleb's training begins. Will obedience and pleasure go hand in hand in his new life as Liam's puppy?

This peek into the Fate of the Fallen/Status Quo world is a stand-alone out of the time line of both series. This book contains puppy play. I consider it "playful dark erotica".
©2016-2018 R. Phoenix (P)2018 R. Phoenix







Story: 5 Stars
Narration: 3 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

I've had this book in my TBR for a long time. It's very different and darker than what I'm used to reading/listening to, though, so I've been wary of reading it. I loved R. Phoenix's "Too Close", though, so even with all the warnings, when I had the chance to listen to Puppy, I decided to take it.

Puppy is a dark read, dub-con bordering on non-con—which considering Caleb is pretty much the human slave of vampire Liam is not that difficult to fathom—and yet, even when Liam is pretty much forcing Caleb into being his new puppy, Caleb retains a bit of his spirit and a semblance of control, especially nearing the end. I really liked the chemistry between Caleb and Liam and how things played out between them as they explored their new dynamics. It was hot, dark, wicked and playful, and did I mention deliciously dark? Because it was. 


This audiobook is short, barely an hour and 41 minutes long, and it was, well, the story was awesome, I was pulled into this world and actually enjoyed being in it, despite whatever misgivings I might have beforehand. Now, while I found the narration enjoyable, I wasn't too sure that JJ Jenness was the right 'voice' for this book. He has a nice and pleasant timbre, but it's too monotonous for a book like this. Still, it was good. Could it have been better? Yes, but I still have no trouble recommending this audiobook.


No comments:

Post a Comment