Friday, September 1, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Finding Mr. Wrong by Charlie Cochet

Release Day Review ~ Finding Mr. Wrong by Charlie Cochet



Title: Finding Mr. Wrong
Author: Charlie Cochet
Release Date: September 1, 2017
Category: Contemporary, Dreamspun Desires
Pages: 218

Dreamspinner  Amazon 

He’s nobody’s definition of Mr. Right—but that might make him perfect.

Matthew Hart is heir to the family fortune and owner of Hart & Home. When a near-death experience has him fretting over the future, he decides he needs a husband, and not just any husband—an appropriate man to protect the Hart legacy. The last thing Matthew expects is to cross paths with Jax Foster, his first love and the boy who crushed his heart when he disappeared.

Jax is unlikely to make Matthew’s list of suitable candidates. Bad boy, vagabond, deep in debt, with a father who can’t keep out of trouble, Jax has nothing to offer—except his heart and a second chance at the romance they never got to explore.






3 Stars

So while I found the premise of this story fun and entertaining, I have to admit it just did not live up to my expectations. What should have been sweet, romantic and fun was more of a just okay story about two characters I frankly didn't care much for. Now, I'm not saying Matthew and Jax weren't good guys or likable, but I just didn't feel like I loved them and cared about them.

Matthew and Jax became friends and then boyfriends at a fairly young age. They were inseparable and imagined they'd always be together until out of the blue Jax disappeared never to be heard from or found. Inevitably Matthew has never gotten over him and has subconsciously ended every relationship he's had since because they aren't Jax. Now decades after Jax disappeared, Matthew nearly dies from anaphylaxis. After recovering he's decided he needs to settle down so he has someone other than his cousin to take over the family business he inherited from his father. So he enlists the help of family friend and employee Adam to find him Mr. Right. Adam, however, works with Matthew's father to reunite him with Jax who it turns out is the new artist they're hiring for a client's home.

I generally love Charlie Cochet's writing and I didn't really have a problem with it in this case but I will say I wished it were slightly more realistic. I found Matthew's reaction to seeing his long lost love odd. Instead of being over the moon he was alive and in the flesh, he was angry that his father and Adam tricked him and that Jax disappeared without telling him when they'd planned on a future together. I was irritated that Matthew acted as if Jax just decided to walk away out of cruelty. Why it didn't seem to occur to him that it wasn't a choice was ridiculous. Not to mention they were too young at the time anyway to truly make that kind of commitment to one another. Jax's home life was way too volatile and Matthew should have had more understanding about that.

I also have to ask where does the whole "Finding Mr. Wrong" thing come into play. Yes, maybe Jax wasn't technically what some would call the perfect mate for Matthew, but I wouldn't have labeled him Mr. Wrong. It just didn't fit right with me. That combined with way too much other stuff going on just had me feeling like I had to force myself to keep reading.

Overall, Finding Mr. Wrong was not what I'd hoped. 

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment