Friday, March 3, 2017

Guest Post: Moment of Fate by Karen Stivali



MOMENT OF FATE (Book 5 in the Moments In Time series)

by Karen Stivali

Blurb:

A Moments In Time Novel

Bryan Dane’s been living the dream—photography student by day, up-and-coming rocker by night. His summer goals are to earn his last few credits, graduate from NYU, spend as much time in the recording studio as possible, and survive the next few months without sex so he can complete his yearlong goal of self-imposed celibacy. Everything is on track until he meets Oliver Newcastle.

For years Oliver planned a marriage of convenience with his high school BFF, but now that she’s fallen in love for real with someone else, it’s no longer convenient. So Oliver came out to his family, quit his job, and left small-town New England for NYC, an intensive summer study program, and a chance to find his own happiness.

From the moment they meet, the sexual tension between Bryan and Oliver sizzles. But Bryan wants no part of a relationship, and Oliver wants to sow his wild oats—he just isn’t sure how. Oliver seeks Bryan’s help navigating the NYC gay scene, which throws them together in increasingly more sexual situations until they can no longer deny they’re hot for each other. Bryan is desperate to keep things simple, but fate may have other plans.

This is a standalone novel set in the Moments In Time world. You do not need to have read any of the previous titles to enjoy this book.

Release Date: February 24, 2017
Words 80,385
Pages 244
ISBN-13 978-1-63476-546-6
Cover Artist: Anna Sikorska



Buy links:

Amazon   ~   B&N   ~   Kobo   ~   DSP   ~   
Google Play   ~   Apple 



We asked Karen: Can you talk about your writing process? Do you plan and outline or do you just sit down at the computer and write?

This is phrased as an either or question, but the answer for me is BOTH.

I can't write a word of any story until I've thought it out in my head. I have to think about the characters and their journey and basically watch it all play out in my head, like a movie. Once I've seen a scene, then I can write it, exactly as I saw it in my mind. But I do not write this all out in outline form. At all.

This is why I often write my books completely out of order. I may see the ending or the black moment or a particular sex scene crystal clear and as soon as I do, I have to write that scene, because if I wait I won't recall it what as much clarity and some of the magic will be lost.

Since I write scenes in the order they come to me, without an outline, I have to do some serious cobbling together once the book is completely written. It's like a puzzle. I know I've written all the pieces but I have to find each one and paste it into the right place, and make sure I haven't repeated anything since I told the story out of order.

There have been a few books that have come to me in completely linear fashion, where I've written it chapter by chapter in the order it happens to the characters, but that is very rare. Maybe two or three times out of twenty+ books. Usually that happens with a sequel where I already know the characters super well and there's just more story to tell about them.

My first drafts or really any book with new characters are all about getting to know the characters. I think that's why sometimes a scene from later in the book will come to me first---it's my brain's way of showing me the most important things about the characters and how they interact so I have a stronger feel for their relationship and how they are together as a couple.

That's also why I often write at least a few of the sex scenes early in the writing process. Sex scenes, to me, are moments when the characters are at their most vulnerable and are interacting with one another in a pure state of being. They're exploring both themselves and each other. I love the emotions that come out in those scenes as well as the internal thoughts---those are often the most telling scenes about what the characters feel and think about one another. They're never just scenes about sex, it's always about how that sexual encounter is changing the characters and their relationship. That's why they're my favorite scenes to write.

So, yes…I plan things out before I write, because I have to know who I’m writing about, what their story arc is, and where the whole thing is going….but then I sit down at my computer and just write, whatever scene they’re willing to show to me first. Neither pantser nor plotter in the true definition of either term. More of a plotser. But it works for me so I’ve got no intention of changing! 




Author's Bio:

Karen Stivali is a prolific writer, compulsive baker and chocoholic with a penchant for books, movies, and fictional British men. She's also the multiple award-winning author of contemporary and erotic romances. She writes novels about love...like real life, only hotter.

Karen's lifelong fascination with people has led her to careers ranging from hand-drawn animator, to party planner, to marriage and family counselor, but writing has always been her passion. Karen enjoys nothing more than following her characters on their journey toward love. Whether the couples are m/f or m/m, it’s guaranteed that Karen's novels are filled with food, friendship, love, and smoking hot sex—all the best things in life.

When Karen isn’t writing (and often when she is), she can be found on Twitter attempting witty banter and detailing the antics of her fruit-loving cat, BadKitteh. She loves to hear from readers (and other writers), so don't hesitate to contact/follow/like her at:

Twitter: https://twitter.com/karenstivali/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KarenStivaliAuthor/

Website: http://karenstivali.com/

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/karenstivali/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/KarenStivali/

E-mail: karenstivali@gmail.com/


Other books in the Moments In Time series:

MOMENT OF IMPACT (Book 1)

MOMENT OF TRUTH (Book 2)

MOMENT OF CLARITY (Book 3)

MOMENTS IN TIME (a compilation of Books 1-3)

MOMENT OF DOUBT (Book 3.5)

MOMENT OF SILENCE (Book 4)

MOMENT OF FATE (Book 5)






No comments:

Post a Comment