Friday, December 30, 2016

Bayou Book Junkie's 2016 Favorites ~ Jaymie's Favorites

Bayou Book Junkie's 2016 Favorites ~ Jaymie's Favorites


Whether the theme was one of my favorites: contemporary, paranormal, humor or Motorcycle Club romance or something generally considered out of my comfort zone, 2016 has had some amazing books by a variety of excellent authors.  Some, however, have stood out and resonated with me even after I've moved on to the next read.  These stories have made me feel that "book hangover" that you hear people complaining about.   

When you spend so much time reading, whether for business or pleasure it is sometimes hard to sit and let a story completely digest. You have to move on to the next and immerse yourself in that one. It makes it difficult to focus completely on the current story if you are stuck back in the one you've finished. For me over the years, I've grown used to jumping from one book to the next and ingesting as much as possible (in college it was a bad thing because I read way too much horror and true crime *shudders* and that stuck with me way too much) but while some books are a bit easier to push to the back of my mind, others refuse not to stay in the forefront. 

Does this mean that this was an easy list to make? Absolutely not. I've read close to 300 books this year and let me tell you, there are a lot of really GREAT stories out there.  My co-bloggers wanted to strangle me when I asked had they composed their list of favorites yet. It became a bone of contention on how we can possibly pare down a list of favorites to only 10?  Honestly, it's hard, it was like Sophie's Choice at times.  So instead we agreed on 15. Now I am very happy to have the opportunity to share my list with all of you. 


Wolfsong by TJ Klune  
  Buy Link

5 Stars!

Amazing! This is hands down my new favorite shifter book. I absolutely loved it. I loved that it made me laugh out loud. I loved that it made me cry, more than once. I loved Ox and Joe, Carter and Kelly, Mark, Thomas, Elizabeth. I adored Gordo, Chris, Tanner and Rico. Most of all I loved TJ Klune's take on Shifters and the incredible story he told in the way only he can.   Full Review



A Kind of Honesty by Lane Hayes
Buy Link

5 Stars!

Wow, this book had my stomach in knots throughout most of it. One minute I'm anxious for Tim and Carter to get together and admit they're a couple and then I'm pissed at Tim for his reluctance. I can't sugarcoat it, while I absolutely loved this book and Carter and Tim, Tim made me angry. Full Review




Daring Fate by Megan Erickson
Buy Link

5 Stars!

A very different look at Werewolves and the world they inhabit. This is not your everyday sweet fated mates love story. The world created by Megan Erickson is dark and violent and complex. Werewolves, Weres and Noweres, this is a very dangerous life.  Full Review



12 Days of Hipster by Raine O'Tierney
Buy Link

5 Stars!

Wow! This book is hilarious, cute, sweet and heartwarming. There were a few moments that brought tears to my eyes but more than anything I found myself smiling and laughing out loud. Full Review



Midlife Crisis by Rob Rosen
Buy Link

5 Stars!

I definitely recommend Midlife Crisis. If you like comedy, mystery and romance you'll like it. There are a few twists and turns and some complete absurdity. But there are also some very relatable moments as well. If Rob Rosen's other books are this fun to read I am definitely making him a one click author.  Full Review



Turn The World Upside Down by Nyrae Dawn
Buy Link

5 Stars!

I have been a fan of Nyrae Dawn for years and I'm always in awe of how these stories seem to press all of my emotional buttons so well. I was expecting sad and emotional but I didn't realize I would actually end up with tears in my eyes by the end. Full Review




Matthias by Alexis Duran
Buy Link

5 Stars!

This is an utterly and completely different from the first book. Where the first book upset me (even though the writing was great) this book had me sitting here biting my nails unable to put it down. I was on pins and needles waiting to find out where the story was going. They were both playing a game and both winning yet losing at the same time. Right when I thought Dylan would one up Matthias, Matthias would turn it around to come out on top. Then it would flip and Dylan was on top (no pun intended).   Full Review




Flash and Bang by Patricia Logan
Buy Link

5 Stars!

...I loved this entire book. I loved the characters, Thayne and Jarrett are great together and individually. And the best part is, while they may be afraid of those 3 little words, they have no problem showing the other how much they care about each other.  Full Review




What About Everything? by John Goode
Buy Link

5 Stars!

So I remember the first time I read Foster High, how it was such an excellent combination of funny and sweet and drama. It was such a great book, from the story itself to the wonderful characters to the absolutely brilliant writing. I loved it. I feel the same way about this one as well. I totally will be recommending this book to everyone. It's this month's Must Read!  Full Review


 Lord of a Thousand Steps by Tara Lain
Buy Link

5 Stars!

I'm a pretty big Tara Lain fan so, of course, I was all about this book. It did not disappoint...As for the characters, I loved them. Both Ian and Braden are great and they have wonderful chemistry. Braden charmed me with his vulnerability. They both are funny and great with the kids which was very endearing.  Full Review


Honorable Mentions

Drifter (MF) by Janine Infante Bosco

5 Stars!

I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves MC Romances/biker books. This is well written, funny, sweet, dark and gritty. It's violent and sexy and there are moments I couldn't stop the tears. All in all, I loved it.  Full Review

Good Boys by Keelan Ellis

5 Stars!

As for the story itself, I loved it. I was kept on my toes thinking I had figured out whodunnit. Just when I would think aha! Nope, I was wrong. By the time it was revealed who the killer really was and the motive, I had to pop myself on the head because I honestly didn't think about that. It was well done. Full Reviews

Misinformation by Keelan Ellis
Buy Link

5 Stars!

I definitely loved Ethan and Charlie. I thought they made a great couple once they were able to work out their issues in the beginning of the story. They had great chemistry and their connection was very believable. Ethan by far was my favorite of the two. Full Review

Fish Out of Water by Amy Lane
Buy Link

5 Stars!

One of my all time favorite authors, Amy Lane, is pretty much an auto buy for me. So needless to say I was so excited to have the opportunity to review Fish Out Of Water and I have to say I really enjoyed it. While I'll admit that this book was a departure from what we typically see from Amy, it was still totally worth the read. If you enjoy a good mystery, conspiracies, two hot men who like it a little dirty and lots of action, this one's for you.  Full Review

Showing Him The Ropes by Christa Tomlinson

5 Stars!

I really loved this story and truth be told, while I'm forced to watch wrestling because of my husband, I'm not really a fan. What I am a fan of, though, is two great men who are meant for each other and that ignore what might be easier, what's expected of them, all in the name of love. And come on, let's not ignore the fact that these two men sound pretty yummy together *winks*. Full Review





9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for including me! I am honored. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I added some to my list. I would love to read the TJ Klune one.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You! Definitely try Wolfsong when you're able, it's wonderful. ❤️

      Delete
  3. I've read several of these and loved them. I have a few more of them waiting on my Kindle to read. I need to get Daring Fate by Megan Erickson, that one I missed and it sounds so good.
    Jczlapin@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picks! I've only read three from the list but those three were pretty high on my favorites list too.
    humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your list! I've read many of them, too. Although, I don't yet have Daring Fate even thought it is on my TBR list.

    Happy New Year!

    jen(dot)f(at)mac(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went book shopping over the holidays so I have a few of these on my reader reader to go. The two I didn't know about are Flash and Bang by Patricia Logan and Good Boys by Keelan Ellis. Both sound so good! Thank you for your list and happy new year!
    peachescon(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete