Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Book Review: Hard Hitter (The Brooklyn Bruisers #2) by Sarina Bowen

Book Review: Hard Hitter (The Brooklyn Bruisers #2) by Sarina Bowen




Hard Hitter (The Brooklyn Bruisers #2) by Sarina Bowen


He’s a fighter in the rink, but he’s about to learn that playing nice can help you score...

As team captain and enforcer, Patrick O'Doul puts the bruise in the Brooklyn Bruisers. But after years of hard hits, O'Doul is feeling the burn, both physically and mentally. He conceals his pain from his coach and trainers, but when his chronic hip injury becomes too obvious to ignore, they send him for sessions with the team’s massage therapist.

After breaking up with her long-term boyfriend, Ari Bettini is in need of peace of mind. For now, she’s decided to focus on her work: rehabilitating the Bruisers’ MVP. O'Doul is easy on the eyes, but his reaction to her touch is ice cold. Ari is determined to help O'Doul heal, but as the tension between them turns red hot, they both learn that a little TLC does the body good...



Patrick O'Doul is the team captain and enforcer for the Brooklyn Bruisers and after 10 years, he's feeling the pain, even if he's tried to hide it. When it's obvious he's not in top form, his coach and trainers book him for massages with the team's massage therapist. He's not all that fond of being touched or showing weakness, though, so for him it's like a fate worse than death, until it isn't.

Ari Bettini is fresh out of a toxic 8-year relationship and while she wants to try being single for a while, Patrick O'Doul is making it very hard for her to resist him. However, Ari's ex is not completely out of the picture and he's threatening both her and Patrick. 

Let me start by saying I'm a huge Sarina Bowen fan. Ever since I read The Understatement of the Year, I fell hard for Rikker and Graham and Sarina's writing. Since then, I've read just about every book of hers I've gotten my grubby paws on, no matter if it's MM or MF I know she will deliver and boy if she didn't live up to my expectations with Hard Hitter. 

I wasn't a fan of Patrick in Rookie Move and I was a bit wary about how much I'd like a book where he'd be the main lead. I shouldn't have worried. Patrick had won me over by the end of the first chapter. Yes, he was gruff and closed-off, but it was awesome to see him open up, not only to Ari, but to others, the more I read. He wasn't perfect, he had flaws he was well aware of, but he was also driven and managed to make something out of himself through his hard work. He was also reliable and sweet and god if I didn't melt every time he called Ari 'Sweetheart'. Gah! 

I liked Ari, actually loved her most of the book. She was quite nice and her chemistry with Patrick was explosive! My only qualm with her was that she didn't quite apply in her life what she preached, at least not until others pointed it all out to her. Still, she was a kickass female lead and considering how few MF books I read, I always appreciate that. 

I loved to see all the familiar faces from the first book and from the Ivy Years series, too! That was awesome!

Hard Hitter was definitely a hit for me! It was fast-paced and I was completely enthralled in the story, the romance, the secondary plotline with Ari's ex and following the team's way towards the Play-offs! While I'm not much of a hockey fan, Sarina Bowen makes it relatable and easy to follow and after the little tidbit at the end, I can't wait to read what else she has in store when Pipe Dreams, the third book in the series is released. One thing, though, please, please, please, Sarina, give us Nate and Becca's story? I'll beg all I need to. 

Rating: 5 Stars!!!

*** Copy provided to the reviewer via NetGalley for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***


Purchase Hard Hitter here:



No comments:

Post a Comment