Monday, January 30, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Clean Slate by Heidi Champa

Release Day Review ~ Clean Slate by Heidi Champ

Title: Clean Slate

Author: Heidi Champ
Release Date: January 30, 2017
Category: Contemporary
Pages: 240

Wes Green keeps everyone at arm’s length, either by pushing buttons or simply pushing them away. When that doesn’t work, Wes runs, as far and as fast as he can. This time, bolting from his boyfriend also costs him his professional organizing job. His last resort is to retreat to his brother’s basement and try to pick up the pieces. The only bright spot in his new life is his niece, Kelsey.
One day, while in Kelsey’s school drop-off line, he meets Sam Montgomery, the father of Maya, Kelsey’s best friend. When Wes finds out Sam is gay and interested in some no-strings-attached fun, Wes thinks he’s hit the jackpot. With boundaries firmly in place, keeping Sam at a distance should be easy.
What starts out simple quickly gets complicated when fun turns to feelings between Wes and Sam. But the baggage both men carry threatens to stop things before they start. Can Wes stay put long enough to find real love, or will old habits be too hard to break?




3 Stars! 

While I enjoyed Clean Slate it definitely wasn't something I fell in love with. I think the fact that I didn't really like Wes at first made it even harder. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be humorous or sad the way he handle his break up in the beginning. He's extremely immature by not just coming out and saying that he wanted to end the relationship and it became a big debacle.

I really liked Wes's brother and sister-in-law (even though they made me angry some of the time) and most of the time he was very lucky to have them. I definitely like Wes a bit more when I saw him interacting with his family, his niece and her best friend. Not to mention all the people he meets while staying with his brother as he begins to branch out on his own with his career. He's very different than the man I thought he was in the beginning.

As for Sam I really wasn't a fan of his either. I just couldn't get a read on him and did not like the way he treated Wes a lot of the time. I didn't feel the great chemistry I wanted to feel and when things worked out between them, I felt a tad bit complacent with it all.

This isn't a bad book. It just isn't one that I can say that I loved. I will, however, be giving this author another chance in the future.

*Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.*

No comments:

Post a Comment