Friday, January 27, 2017

Release Day Review ~ Spell Fall (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge: Book Four) by Jacob Z. Flores

Release Day Review ~ Spell Fall (The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge: Book Four) by Jacob Z. Flores

Title: Spell Fall
Series: The Warlock Brothers of Havenbridge: Book Four
Author: Jacob Z. Flores
Release Date: January 27, 2017Category: Fantasy: Urban Fantasy, Paranormal: Werewolves/shifters, Paranormal: Vampires, New Adult
Pages: 200

Love and trust made them soul mates, but destiny might have other plans.
Ever since Drake Carpenter fell in love with warlock Mason Blackmoor, his life has been one supernatural battle after another, but Drake doesn’t mind… much. To be with Mason and experience the magical connection they share, Drake would face entire hordes of vampyren, shifters, or fae—and he has. Luckily Drake is immune to magic, though no one can explain his natural ability to negate almost any enchantment. With Drake’s own family gone, Mason is all he has. So why is Drake experiencing disturbing dreams about Mason that terrify him?
A new threat looms on the horizon, and a revelation about Drake’s identity and the true origin of his bond with Mason shatters everything Drake believes. If Drake, Mason, and all of magic are to survive the coming Spell Fall, the most destructive curse in sorcery, Drake must deal with the truth and fight his way back to Mason—because their enemies are gaining strength, and they intend to reach the boy Drake loves first.




3 Stars 

Far too many characters in this, which overshadowed the tale. I mean, the background and cast of characters alone were several pages long!
I'm not actually sure if reading all about the world and the many characters that this author has created was necessary, as I ended up wondering what I'd let myself in for and thought that I wouldn't be able to get into the tale. Luckily, despite the info-dump, which I suppose is kind of necessary in (what I thought was the) first tale of what's clearly going to become a series, I didn't have trouble getting into the tale which is set in contemp times. When posting this review, I noticed that this is book 4 in a series, so maybe such a long intro wasn't entirely needed.

It's a tale filled with wizards, witch hunters, mages, vamp-types, followers and good guys and bad guys and I expected a heavier read than I got. I got the impression that the leads of this tale, Mason and Drake, were very, very young, and that Drake was the more mature of the two (I mean, Mason was really juvenile until he needed to get serious to save his lover), so Mason did grate the tiniest bit.

There are baddies to be fought, alliances to be made for the greater good, some fighting going on and at times, there was a little too much going on without enough depth about the consequences of what was so important and why, and there were frankly too many characters in it, so I did end up skim-reading a little. I did like one reveal that I hadn't seen coming and which gave a really romantic aspect to the tale - I think, though, more should have been made of it.

Not sure I'd read more in the series, as there was too much happening, but the tale lacked excitement.

ARC courtesy of Dreamspinner Press and Bayou Book Junkie for my reading plea
sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment