Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Release Day Review: Speakeasy (True North #5) by Sarina Bowen



Sometimes you fall for Mr. Right. And sometimes for Mr. Right Now…
May
Did you hear the one about the girl who walks into a bar and catches her live-in lover kissing someone else? No? You’re the only one in town who missed it.
Luckily Alec is there to wrap me up in strong arms and carry me out the door before things get too ugly. And that’s not all Alec is good at. Our unexpected chemistry makes him the perfect rebound guy.
Alec
I should know better than to hook up with my rival’s little sister, but the fiery look in May’s eyes really turns my crank. She needs cheering up, and I’m just the guy for the job.
It’s not like I’ll fall in love. Not even after a string of scorching hot trysts, and the realization that we’re good at the same things: wild nights and familial disappointment. I don’t do love, never have, never will. So this is the perfect arrangement, for both of us. 
Nobody would approve, but nobody has to know…


Links for Speakeasy:

⭐ Amazon:  http://geni.us/AmazonSpk 
⭐ iBooks: http://geni.us/iBooksSpk 




4 Stars!

Speakeasy is book 5 in the True North series and while it could be read as a standalone, I suggest reading the series in order because there are many recurring characters and truly, the books are so good, you're missing out if you haven't grabbed them all.

I loved Alec, he might have been a playboy before May, but he was relatable and down-to-earth and while his jokes weren't all that great, I still found myself smiling at them. I hated that it took so long for his uncle and others to take him seriously. Perhaps he wasn't the most business-savvy person, but he was hard-working, responsible and willing to help anyone who needed him, including the sister of Griff Shipley, his rival. I loved that he just wouldn't quit once he decided on something, be it his pub or pursuing May.

I am ambivalent about May and her bisexuality. She was so determined on ending up with a woman—even when Daniela had cheated on her and belittled her—that even when Alec was so good with her, it took her forever to realize she'd fallen for him, too. That was kind of annoying and really, it made it harder for me to like her. I ended up warming up to her and I was happy with how things unfolded between May and Alec in the end. I think her alcoholism was well-researched and portrayed, not just pushing it under the rug, but showing her constant struggle.

May and Alec were amazing together, the progression of their relationship from rebound to more felt very organic and natural and hot, let's not forget hot, because we all know Sarina Bowen writes some of the hottest sex scenes, be it MF or MM. Would I have preferred it if May actually got it right from the start? Sure, but then there wouldn't have been much conflict and they (mostly her) needed it to move forward.

It was fantastic catching up with other beloved characters in the series, as always, and seeing Griffin and Aubrey feature so prominently with the imminent arrival of their baby and Griffin's rivalry with Alec. I didn't like Alec's uncle Otto all that much, but I adored Griffin's grandpa who was awesome!

Overall, while not my favorite in the series, Speakeasy was still a great read, hot, fun and angsty, with a great array of characters you will get invested in. Very recommendable!

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***







No comments:

Post a Comment