Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Release Day Review: The Alcove by Rosalind Abel

Release Day Review: The Alcove by Rosalind Abel





Jasper Getty is living his dream as the owner of the charming bookshop, Lavender Pages. For seven years, he’s enjoyed the safety and freedom to be himself, selling books by day and curling up and getting lost in novels by night. But a dark page from the past comes back to haunt Jasper as his ex begins stalking him.

Russell Wallace hit reset on his life in Nashville and became a bodyguard after decades of living according to family expectations. But even years later, he doesn’t believe he deserves happiness. When Russell is asked to travel to the beautiful seaside town of Lavender Shores to protect a friend’s brother, he expects nothing more than a job and a paycheck.

But Lavender Shores reveals a world Russell never imagined, and his immediate attraction to the adorably geeky Jasper complicates an already difficult job. Jolted by the memory of a shared moment and paths that crossed years ago intensifies the sparks into a bonfire of passion and hope.

When danger comes pounding at the door, Jasper is in danger of losing his life… and his heart.







4.25 stars!

I enjoyed this book and didn't want to set it down once I started. I have read several of the Lavender Shores books and reading this one reminded me that I needed to catch up with the ones that I missed. I love this town and its quirky characters.

Russell comes in to be Jasper's bodyguard. Jasper's ex was released from jail early and has been leaving things for Jasper. Early on, Jasper realizes that he's met Russell before. The first time he met Russell, he was celebrating his freedom from his abusive ex. Their current situation made Russell reluctant to get involved with Jasper; he needed to protect Jasper, not take advantage of him.

I liked Jasper. He made a new life for himself with help from his brother. Jasper loves his bookshop and the friends he's made in Lavender Shores. He's a great listener. Russell's life hasn't been easy either. His early years were burdened by family expectations. The first time he met Jasper, his life was in shambles. While he has turned some things around in his life, he has subconsciously been searching for Jasper ever since.

I loved watching Russell realize that he could stop listening to the voices from the past and getting used to the freedom and acceptance that Lavender Shores provides. I also enjoyed watching him realize that he could finally have a home again if he tried. These two had amazing chemistry that would not be denied. While the initial back and forth was hard to watch, once Russell starts opening up to Jasper, I could understand where his hesitations were coming from and was glad that he trusted Jasper with his story. I was so happy when they talked and cleared the air about the future. These two belong together.

Since I don't want to ruin the fun, I'll just say that it was a blast to read about the book club meeting and the last part of the book convention. Now I'm off to read the stories I missed in this series.

*** Copy provided to me by the author for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment