Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Release Day Review: The Shore Thing by A. R. Barley


Title: The Shore Thing
Author: A. R. Barley
Release Date: August 23, 2017
Category: Contemporary, States of Love
Pages: 104
Sunburned Delaware native Dale Seward spends his summers wrangling lifeguards and cracking crabs. His winters are a whole lot colder.
Nico Travelli’s never even seen the ocean, but when his family’s plans for him get derailed, he realizes his future in their upscale Italian restaurants might be over, and it’s time for something new. He’s hypnotized by his first look at the Atlantic—until a wave takes him out. Luckily, Dale’s there to pull him to safety.
Dale knows better than to fall for a summer person, but that doesn’t mean he can’t show Nico a good time. Between the ice cream cones and the put-put golf, these two lonely hearts soon find themselves in over their heads.
But when Nico is tempted by a second chance at the life he always thought he wanted, will he be brave enough to give it up for the possibility of true love with Dale? And what does the sexy lifeguard do during the winter? In a state as small as Delaware, secrets are bound to come out.
States of Love: Stories of romance that span every corner of the United States.




3 Stars!

This was another quick, easy and sweet read. Unfortunately, this particular story didn't completely work for me. I wish I could eloquently write what I had difficulty with but in all honesty, I just couldn't find a way to immerse myself in the story.

I found Dale to be a bit off-putting at the beginning of the story. I didn't quite know what to think of him. Between his inner dialogue and his demeanor while talking to other characters, I felt he was not necessarily standoffish but like he was closed off. His age irritated me and not because I found him to be too old for Nico but because he always referred to himself as old and everyone else as kid. It became annoying.

Nico was okay but again I had a hard time truly connecting with him. I wasn't sure how to feel about him in the beginning as Dale rescued him and then later when he's in Dale's home. Then as the story progresses again his character seemed so different than he was when we originally met him. I couldn't get a complete picture of who he really was.

I am sure that many readers will enjoy this particular story but it wasn't for me. I'll probably give the author another try in the future, maybe a longer story will work more for me. Overall, I probably wouldn't recommend this story but it could've just been me and my mood.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by Dreamspinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***



No comments:

Post a Comment