Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Book Review ~ How to Love a Monster by Lyssa Dering

Book Review ~ How to Love a Monster by Lyssa Dering



Blurb:
--- Dying at the hands of government goons was always going to happen. Waking up in a dark and twisted afterlife? Not the plan. 

Seraphim has the superhuman ability to control his own brain. Or at least, he used to, before his government-mandated brain surgery. The surgery killed him, but life isn’t over yet. He’s just woken up, shivering and alone, in the rain-soaked alleyway of a city he doesn't recognize.

Fiend is a childhood monster. Dreamed up by Seraphim's friend Wish, he was imprisoned in Wish's subconscious until the birth of Wish City, a place for people with superhuman abilities to take refuge after death. Now Fiend is free—and in charge—and he's on the hunt for anyone with abilities once they cross over.

Eager to play with his new toy, Fiend quickly makes contact with Seraphim. Lost and injured, Seraphim lets Fiend slither into his heart. But under the aching pleasure the two find with each other is a hunger that can't be denied, and lurking in the shadows of the neon city are truths neither man nor monster is ready to face.

How to Love a Monster is a gay erotic horror romance featuring twisted and kinky M/M sex, a diabolical love interest, and an HEA ending.




3.5 Stars!

Fiend, a Monster created in the mind of a child has found a way to be real.

Sera wakes to find himself in a world he doesn't know and has no clue whether he's alive or dead.

When the two come together in an intensely dirty yet wildly passionate encounter everything either has ever known changes.

What I Loved: I may have not cared for the beginning of the book (because I was confused), I loved the latter part of the story and the ending and Epilogue.

I'm a fan of an antihero but generally not if they are inherently evil. However, Fiend kind of crept under my defenses and I sort of fell for him. Don't get me wrong, he can definitely be called a monster and was rather despicable in the beginning but he has a sort of sweetness to him as well as his relationships with others and Sera deepen.

What I Liked: Extraordinary talent is needed to come up with something so unique and detailed. I liked that this story was not a cookie cutter paranormal romance or dark erotica. While some of it was a bit too much for my taste, it was done in a manner that seemed true to the story and the characters.

What I Didn't Like: Well this was a very confusing book at first and I kind of wished (no pun intended) that I'd had a Cliff's Notes version to help me figure things out. Luckily, as I got further along the story started to come together more and I was able to somewhat get it. I wasn't sure if Sera was dead and in Hell or if he was in some crazy Purgatory. I wasn't sure if he were dreaming or in some drug induced alternate reality nightmare. I had difficulty knowing what was real and what wasn't. Thankfully, it got cleared up.

Overall, I have to admit this book is not for everyone. It has a lot of very dark and disturbing scenes. The kink is most definitely not for everyone. However, if you like horror stories or unique and dark erotic reads, you'll probably have a good time with Sera and Fiend.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

No comments:

Post a Comment