Monday, April 9, 2018

Book Review: Ten Mile Bottom by Teodora Kostova



Ten Mile Bottom 
by Teodora Kostova



Blurb

Hitting rock bottom is just the beginning...

I’m a son, a brother, a friend.

A writer.

An addict.

Dead.

Cardiac arrest isn’t enough to keep me dead, though. The doctors brought me back, but for what?

At twenty four I’ve already achieved what most people do in a life time. I’m a successful author, own a flat in the heart of London and drive my dream sports car.

Or at least that’s what people see.

Once the spotlight fades, I’m left alone with my overactive mind, alcohol and drugs the only way to quiet down the noise.

Until an overdose nearly kills me and drags everyone I love down with me.

With the help of my best friend, I leave London and its toxic influence behind, moving to a small town in the outskirts of Cambridge to try and put my life back together again.

If only it were that easy.




Buy Links: 



Available on KU.


4 Stars 

After reading the blurb I was expecting an emotional and gripping story that would tear me up and in the very beginning of the book, it was emotional. Watching Finn and his bestie, Aiden party it up, then with the aftermath of an overdose and the scene with Aiden and Finn in the hospital. But other than a few more scenes throughout, the potential the story had was lost. For me, Ben didn’t struggle with his addiction nearly enough. The transition from that hospital scene with Aiden to his move to Ten Mile Bottom left a lot of open territory to work with that was missed.

Not to say I didn’t like the story, I just thought it had great bones to be so much more. But, let’s talk about what we were given.

I liked Finn and Ben and they fit together well. I adored the fact that Ben stood by Finn no matter what, he was always there to support him. They had good chemistry and I liked what I got to know about Ben, but I wish he had been a more developed character. Since the book is told completely from Finn’s point-of-view, I wish the author had given Finn and Ben more conversational dialogue, so we had gotten to know him better.

While Finn’s mother was a complete nightmare, we’ll get to that later in this review, I absolutely loved Ben’s family. They were so open, accepting, and supportive of both Ben and his brother, Josh and I loved that they welcomed Finn into their fold so easily. I loved the brotherly bickering between Ben and Josh, it had me chuckling out loud. I really liked Aiden and I’m glad he’ll be getting his own book. I’m looking forward to reading it.

I also liked Rose, the neighbor who wasn’t afraid to tell Finn what she really thought about him. They fought like brother and sister and I adored it.

Now, Finn’s mother: As I said, she was a complete and utter nightmare, but I can relate in some ways. As a person who suffers from depression, I know it can, and often does, manifest as anger. When I’m not properly medicated, I get mad at the slightest and stupidest things, but I also know what I’m doing. Yes, I see it in myself after the fact, and I’m sure Finn’s mother did as well. When you get that way you know what you’re doing and in that respect, it was hard for me to forgive her for her treatment of her children. But, in the end, although for me it may have been too little, too late, I’m glad they were able to repair their relationship.

All in all, this was an enjoyable read, filled with new chances to fix old mistakes, friendship, laughter, and love. Recommendable!

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment