Monday, April 30, 2018

Release Day Review ~ Life Of Bliss by Erin McLellan

Release Day Review ~ Life Of Bliss by Erin McLellan


Title: Life of Bliss by Erin McLellan
Series: Love Life #2 (note: can be read as a standalone, different couple than #1)
Release Date: April 30, 2018
Genre: m/m contemporary romance
Length: 53,000 words

Blurb:
Nobody plans to accidentally marry their frenemy-with-benefits.

Todd McGower and Victor Consuelos do not like each other. They can’t have a conversation without insults flying, and Victor seems to get off on pushing Todd’s buttons. The fact that their antagonism always leads to explosive sex . . . well, that’s their little secret. 

Victor has a secret of his own. His full-blown crush on Todd is ruining his sex life. He hasn’t looked at anyone else in months, and he’s too hung up on Todd to find a date to his cousin’s wedding. 

In a moment of weakness after a heart-stopping night together, Todd agrees to be Victor’s fake boyfriend for the wedding. Victor will have his plus-one—which will get his family off his back—and Todd will get a free mini-vacation. It’s a win-win.

But pretending to be fake boyfriends leads to real intimacy, which leads to too much wine, and suddenly, Todd and Victor wake up with wedding bands and a marriage license between them. That was not their plan, but a summer of wedded bliss might just change their minds.

Tropes: frenemies with benefits, pretend boyfriends, accidental/wake-up married







4 Stars

I think this is mostly a case of it's not you, it’s me, or rather, it wasn’t the story, it was me. I wanted Victor and Todd’s story, even asked for it at the end of my review for Life On Pause, book one in this series, which definitely has to be read before reading this book, or you’ll be completely lost. I read it and even after re-reading my review of book one, I still felt a little lost in the beginning.

I was interested in Todd and Victor’s story when I met them in Life On Pause, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t connect with them in this story. The book is pretty well-written, although I think more of their history/backstory together should have been shared with us. Even though I’m not a real fan of flashbacks, I think that or some type of a prologue was badly needed here. I think it may have made Victor and Todd’s relationship more believable.

The story was cute and I loved the fake marriage, it’s a trope I really like, and Todd and Victor were good together, although I wanted to knock their heads together at times and tell them to just please communicate their fears with one another, especially Todd. He had a lot of fears about their relationship and what he’d lose if this marriage didn’t work and he just wouldn’t speak up. Typical men, but they had good chemistry and they sizzled in the bedroom.

Although I didn’t connect with the characters it was still a pleasant read that I’d recommend, just read book one first.

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***

No comments:

Post a Comment