Thursday, April 26, 2018

Pre-Release Day Review ~ Wink by Deja Black

Pre-Release Day Review ~ Wink by Deja Black


A Tengu goblin and a wolf shifter on a trip home for spring break? 
Throw a little spring fever in there, and it’s bound to shake things up a bit.




3 Stars!

Oh, I hate that I have to say this because I am a huge fan of Deja Black. Generally, I love her stories and her style. With Wink, however, I just didn’t find that connection I wanted.

I loved the blurb, which was very enticing. I love paranormal stories and Wolf Shifters are my favorite. I figured reading about a goblin would be different but fun, I’ve never read a story that had a goblin as a MC, so I was excited. Unfortunately, I found Calyx a little off-putting for some reason, mainly in the beginning of the story. While I grew to like him a bit more as it went on, the short length of Wink left little time for me to completely embrace his character.

I had the same problem with Trey. I wish I could’ve instantly found him endearing but truth be told, I found him a tad annoying. I actually found it harder to like him than I did Calyx.

With not caring for either Trey or Calyx, their relationship just didn’t do it for me. Hopefully, I’m in the minority here and most readers will love Trey and Calyx together. The story had potential but I think if it had been longer it may have been better. This is not Deja Black’s best story but I’m still a big fan and will definitely be giving her another try. If you haven’t read They Called Him Nightmare or Broken Pieces I definitely recommend them.

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

No comments:

Post a Comment