Friday, November 10, 2017

Release Day Review: At Sixes and Sevens by M.A. Church


Title: At Sixes and Sevens
Series: Fur, Fangs, and Felines: Book 4
Author: M.A. Church
Release Date: November 10, 2017
Category: Paranormal: Werewolf/Shifter
Pages: 250

Werecats mating with humans was bad enough…. But an Alpha werewolf?
Aidric’s life takes an unexpected turn when he meets Alpha Carter Lovelock of the Dark Lake Pack—who is apparently his mate. Now Aidric must decide whether to accept the mate the goddess chose, or deny her gift because cats and dogs just don’t mix.
Carter is in a pickle. He always assumed his mate would be a female werewolf. How else is Carter supposed to carry on his line and retain Alphaship? When Aidric comes into his life, Carter’s ex, Sabrina, isn’t giving up easily. Her brother, Delaney, is a thorn in Carter’s side, and some of the other werewolves go out of their way to make Aidric feel unwelcome, including one of his deltas, Evan.
Unfortunately, what little headway they make is destroyed during a full moon hunt when enemy werewolves attack Aidric and threaten the pack house where the Dark Lake pups are kept—an ambush that could have devastating consequences on their future.
Werewolves are notoriously insular, and before Carter and Aidric can build the life they want with each other, they’ll face a fight for acceptance.





5 Stars!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I adore how the author writes the characters in their animal forms. They are always so funny, cute and true to how cats really appear to us. Their mannerisms and behaviors seem so realistic that I can’t help but get a vivid picture of them in my head as the story develops. It’s also nearly impossible for me not to laugh out loud at their antics. That’s what truly makes this series so much fun to read and I pray there are many many more books to come within this series or at least in this ‘verse.

Aidric is a werecat and the discovery that his mate is an Alpha Werewolf is both shocking and startling. Unease at the idea of being mates to an Apex predator has him questioning how in the hell things are going to work. Yet when Carter asks for Aidric to visit his pack lands to talk and hopefully figure things out Aidric agrees. Neither man has any idea how they will find themselves swept up in the mating pull and how quickly they’ll realize they are meant to be. Of course, along the way they face scorned lovers, angry pack members, family tragedy and the threat of unknown Shifters set on destroying them.

This is probably my favorite of the series, of course it’s possible that I loved it so much because we get to really see Werewolves this time (I’m a sucker for a wolf Shifter). It’s also possible that I loved this one so much because I loved Carter to death and thought Aidric was great for him. The two had wonderful chemistry and were pretty hot together, too. I also liked how they felt balanced as a couple. I loved how both were strong and loyal, fierce and determined. Carter was Alpha and Aidric knew how to be a great Alpha mate, there weren’t the irritating missteps or squabbles over the roles they were to play. Their relationship was smooth yet had a natural progression as far as being fated Mates was concerned.

The plot was good, too. It wasn’t over the top or bogged down by misunderstandings and the ridiculously overdone plot devices I feel like I see over and over again. Could there have been more drama, darker themes or more violence and action? Probably. However, I liked that there was less of that and more of Pack life explored. I hope it may be a way of really introducing Werewolves to the series and we get to see more of them (or even a cool spinoff series). There are quite a few characters I want more of.

Overall, the writing was great, the storyline entertaining and the characters kept me from putting it down. I’d most definitely recommend it as well as the rest of the series!

***Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by the author/publisher for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.***

No comments:

Post a Comment