Saturday, November 18, 2017

Book Review: Out by Cara Dee



Out by Cara Dee 

“I guess I always figured coming out was something you did for friends and family, and maybe it is, but it’s personal too, you know? The person I was last night is new. I wanna get to know him.” 

Title: Out 
Genre: Contemporary Romance 
Pairing: Gay Romance 

Amazon US
Amazon CAN
Amazon AUS
Amazon DE
Amazon UK
Goodreads


Synopsis: 

I had two things on my list when I arrived in Los Angeles. One, track down Henry Bennington, the uncle and guardian of my little brother’s best friend, and tell him to get his ass back to Washington. He needed to do something about his nephew, who was turning into a douchebag. And two, figure out just how non-straight I was. For the past two years, I’d had all these fantasies, and now was the time to explore them, far away from my sleepy little town.

Nowhere on this list did it say, “Get Ty’s uncle into bed and fall for him.” I wasn’t supposed to fall in love with another city either. But between brunch, making new friends, and discovering the man I was meant to be, I lost sight of the future that had once seemed pretty damn vivid. How the hell was I supposed to merge my old life and who I used to be with the new dreams Los Angeles and Henry had awakened in me?








3.5 Stars

Zach has been feeling confused for the last 2 years or so and now, on a trip to LA to talk to his brother's best friend's uncle, he decides to test the waters and find out if he is really attracted to men. When he sees Henry, Tyler's uncle for the first time, he realizes he's attracted to one man at least. But there's a big age difference between them, Zach lives in Camassia Cove and Henry in LA and Henry's insecurities with Zach's newness with it all, threaten to put a damper to their budding romance.

Okay, first let me say I adored Zach. He was so much fun to read and was the best part of the book. Sarcastic and self-deprecating and just a great guy all-around. He was selfless, for the most part, loyal and sweet and had been taking care of his younger brother since he was 18. Now at 27, he just wants to have a taste of what he might have been missing and sets his sights on Henry. The only part of Zach I didn't quite like, was how much of a doormat he was for Henry. 

It took me a long time to warm up to Henry and when I did, it was almost too little too late. I found him selfish and domineering and I hated that he would say one thing, but do the opposite in regards to Zach. The way he just washed his hands of his nephew, leaving him with Henry's awful parents and then cry because Tyler didn't want to talk to him, when Henry had full custody in the first place just rubbed me the wrong way. Another thing I hated was some of the sex scenes when it felt like he forced himself on Zach, there's one at a club when he makes Zach suck him off and then when they have penetrative sex the first time, when he claimed he just couldn't control himself and kind of hurt Zach, even if he didn't say anything. Well, you're 46 years old! You should've learned how to do that a long time ago, pal! Grrr! Then the back and forth with Henry being all insecure no matter how much Zach tried to reassure him, ugh, it was just offputting. 

Zach and Henry had chemistry, that was undeniable and some of the sex scenes were hot, even if the use of dear and darling and honey during sex is so annoying. 

I loved Matthew and Martin, they were a hoot and I just adored reading their antics. Tyler was okay, although I think that part of the storyline could've been longer. 

Overall, the book was enjoyable, despite Henry. Perhaps others won't mind the way he behaved, even find him likable, but for me, he was a twatsicle of the first order. However, the writing was good and the book had its fun moments, so perhaps try it out and tell me what you thought? 

*** Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie for my reading pleasure, a review wasn't a requirement. ***


About Cara: 
I'm often stoically silent or, if the topic interests me, a chronic rambler. In other words, I can discuss writing forever and ever. Fiction, in particular. The love story—while a huge draw and constantly present—is secondary for me, because there's so much more to writing romance fiction than just making two (or more) people fall in love and have hot sex. There's a world to build, characters to develop, interests to create, and a topic or two to research thoroughly. Every book is a challenge for me, an opportunity to learn something new, and a puzzle to piece together. I want my characters to come to life, and the only way I know to do that is to give them substance—passions, history, goals, quirks, and strong opinions—and to let them evolve. Additionally, I want my men and women to be relatable. That means allowing room for everyday problems and, for lack of a better word, flaws. My characters will never be perfect. 

Wait…this was supposed to be about me, not my writing. 
I'm a writey person who loves to write. Always wanderlusting, twitterpating, kinking, and geeking. There's time for hockey and cupcakes, too. But mostly, I just love to write. 

Website: https://www.caradeewrites.com/ 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/caradeewrites/ 
Twitter: https://twitter.com/CaraDeeWrites 
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/carawrites/ 
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6936449.Cara_Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment