Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Review: Straight from the Heart by Kimberly Gardner


Blurb:

College student Kyle diStefano is having trouble paying his tuition. So when he hears about a job as team mascot with the accompanying full scholarship it seems like the perfect solution. Except he knows nothing about football. But why should that stop him?
Known as the Big Cock on Campus, Dave Masterson never lets his antics with the ladies interfere with his true love, playing NCAA football. But when his coach suggests the team do some off-season conditioning at the ballet barre, most of the guys scoff. Only Dave takes him seriously.

With Dave's knowledge of football and Kyle's knowledge of ballet, it seems each has exactly what the other needs, except they play for different teams. Or do they?

Kyle knows one sure path to heartbreak is falling for the straight jock who’s teaching him the rules of the game. Dave falling for another man is going to mean nothing but trouble. But neither man can seem to help himself.

When a public display of affection casts doubt on Dave’s NFL dream, he is forced to make a choice. Stay with the game plan or call an audible straight from the heart.



My review:


Five stars!!!

This book was such a fantastic read! I’m a sucker for both GFY and college stories and this combines both in an amazing way. This story is part of the Exception to the Rule Series but can be read as a standalone without feeling like you’re lost out of your mind, trying to figure things out. I loved that about this book, but precisely because I adored it so much, I’ll certainly go get the previous two books in the series as fast as I can.

I devoured this book, it is fast-paced and fun, with some not-so-light angst mingled into it and we get dual POVs that worked great to tell us this particular story. I particularly enjoyed watching both boys getting closer with each encounter and their chemistry was off the charts, and hot enough to melt an iceberg!

The author made me root for Kyle and Dave from the get-go, and I fell hard for them. They’re such fabulously drawn characters. They feel as real as all the things they had to go through to get their HEA. They’re likeable even when they’re being difficult and making me cry. There’s some angst woven into the story, but it never feels unsurmountable, which is a really good thing in my book. And I adored Dave’s journey, he was such a boy and it nearly took him losing Kyle to finally realize what had been in front of him all the time.

The secondary characters were amazing as well, especially Mark and Josie, who are the main couple in book 2, and Lacey, who in the end had more depth than I gave her credit for at first.

I certainly recommend this book and I will check out other stories by Kimberly Gardner for sure. Her writing style is awesome and I had so much fun reading this book, that I didn’t want it to end.

Contact Kimberly Gardner in Facebook.
Add the book to Goodreads.
Buy the book from Amazon and Loose-id.

No comments:

Post a Comment