Saturday, November 29, 2014

Review: Smoky Mountain Dreams by Leta Blake



Blurb:

Sometimes holding on means letting go

After giving up on his career as a country singer in Nashville, Christopher Ryder is happy enough performing at the Smoky Mountain Dreams theme park in Tennessee. But while his beloved Gran loves him the way he is, Christopher feels painfully invisible to everyone else. Even when he's center stage he aches for someone to see the real him.

Bisexual Jesse Birch has no room in his life for dating. Raising two kids and fighting with family after a tragic accident took his children's mother, he doesn't want more than an occasional hook-up. He sure as hell doesn't want to fall hard for his favorite local singer, but when Christopher walks into his jewelry studio, Jesse hears a new song in his heart.


My review:


5+ Stars!

First of all, I bought this book because I was drawn by the characters when Leta Blake posted an excerpt for it, and the cover and blurb sounded so perfect, I just couldn't resist.

And I do not regret it, it was such a fantastic, emotional rollercoaster read! It was sweet, sizzling hot and oh-so-perfectly angsty!

I cried, I laughed, I drooled over the fabulous sex scenes (especially the one in Jesse's workshop office, damn I'm never going to look at pearls the same way again!), but above all, I fell in love with Jesse and Christopher, with Brigid and Will, with Jackie and Joe and their children, with Christopher's gran and even with Gareth! They were all such well-rounded, tridimensional characters, with good and bad things and everything in between, making them so much realistic to me.

(This part could be considered spoilery, so be warned...)

I think Christopher was my favorite character. He was loyal and loving, only wanting someone to really 'see' him and love him because of that, always willing to forgive, and be second-choice, which broke my heart several times. I'm so happy Jesse could give him what he needed in every sense, to be part of a family.

I adored that Christopher managed to win Brigid over, and that once he managed to get through to her, she embraced him fully. That was heartwarming.

"Life's too short to waste it arguing about whether or not you're sorry enough for something I damn well know you're sorry for." That has to be one of my favorite quotes from the book and I think it shows a lot of Christopher's character. Even when Jesse messed up (several times, I might add), he was always willing to listen and forgive, perhaps not quite forget, but he tried to understand Jesse's motives.

As I said before, I cried a lot, I felt so much for Christopher with all he had to go through and I was so happy that he got his HEA, after all.

Thank you, Leta Blake, for writing this story that tugged at my heartstrings and left me feeling so good after it ended.

Contact Leta Blake on Facebook
Add Smoky Mountain Dreams to Goodreads
Buy Smoky Mountain Dreams on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment